#emc-devel | Logs for 2009-07-24

[02:16:49] <steve_stallings> steve_stallings is now known as steves_logging
[02:37:45] <steve_stallings> steve_stallings is now known as steves_logging
[11:46:33] <CIA-4> EMC: 03micges 07task_cleanup * rc479e164d98b 10/src/emc/nml_intf/emc.cc: Remove unused NML update functions
[13:59:13] <cradek> why did seb post that patch instead of putting it on the branch?
[14:07:49] <CIA-4> EMC: 03jepler 07master * r86dbfc89c9f7 10/src/hal/utils/comp.g: add way to get path to Makefile.modinc
[14:07:49] <CIA-4> EMC: 03jepler 07master * r1064135faa89 10/src/ (emc/usr_intf/emcsched.cc rtapi/sim_rtapi_app.cc): these headers are needed on gcc4.4 systems
[14:08:51] <jepler> cradek: because I asked people not to push changes to v2_3_branch
[14:09:52] <jepler> what's weird is that his patch shows no context
[14:10:22] <cradek> yes that is weird
[14:24:33] <SWPadnos> re:toolchangers
[14:25:05] <SWPadnos> but if you have a tool database somewhere, then you can just select which number(s) you're using
[14:25:32] <cradek> sure
[14:33:03] <SWPadnos> sorry, phone
[14:33:16] <cradek> it's interesting how many endings there are on google for "and if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be ..."
[14:33:24] <SWPadnos> and people tearing the siding off the house. amazing how that kind of noise prevents thinking
[14:33:27] <SWPadnos> heh
[16:19:37] <seb_kuzminsky> jepler: what do you think is a good way to email patches?
[16:19:41] <seb_kuzminsky> last night i just attached the git-format-patch output, just now i used git-send-email
[16:20:30] <seb_kuzminsky> i used "git-send-email --compose" to type in an introduction to the patch ("please apply to 2.3" basically)
[16:20:56] <jepler> I've used git-format-patch
[16:21:05] <jepler> but for me it showed context
[16:21:16] <jepler> on the mailing list, I have your introductory message but not a patch
[16:21:37] <seb_kuzminsky> i fixed the context thing, i had an *old* environment variable giving arguments to git-diff
[16:21:45] <seb_kuzminsky> i also only have the intro :-(
[16:22:05] <skunkworks_> heh - your last email doesn't have an attachment.
[16:22:21] <jepler> the patch is supposed to show up as a separate message, not as an attachment
[16:22:40] <skunkworks_> ah
[16:22:56] <seb_kuzminsky> i'm not sure which is better
[16:25:57] <seb_kuzminsky> probably minimize the number of emails that sf.net gets a chance to delay :-/
[16:29:07] <seb_kuzminsky> http://highlab.com/~seb/emc2/0001-hm2-stepgen-bugfix-for-float-precision-logspew-probl.patch
[16:37:03] <seb_kuzminsky> hi micges :-)
[16:37:15] <micges> hi seb
[16:37:34] <micges> did you use prevent on emc?
[16:37:45] <seb_kuzminsky> yes :-)
[16:37:45] <seb_kuzminsky> http://scan2.coverity.com:9082/view-runs.cgi?magic=dc469294a28f113fa7dc57ade1244270&user=seb&noprevpage=1
[16:39:07] <micges> did you buy it or is it live check with coverity ?
[16:39:27] <SWPadnos> open source projects don't have to pay
[16:40:01] <micges> oh
[16:40:15] <micges> I didn't read carefully
[16:40:47] <SWPadnos> you still have to register and all that, and I think the results aren't made public by default, but they'll do the scans for free
[16:43:29] <micges> seb: can you describe a little that bug that you patch is for ?
[16:43:49] <seb_kuzminsky> coverity's free-for-floss service is great, mad props, but they run a really old version of prevent on it, and they dont handle branches :-(
[16:44:07] <seb_kuzminsky> so the 2.3 runs and the master runs are all jumbled
[16:44:28] <seb_kuzminsky> micges: i tried to describe it in the commit message in that patch on my website
[16:45:25] <seb_kuzminsky> make sense?
[16:47:17] <micges> yes, but is it only applicable to maxvel?
[16:47:24] <micges> it is*
[16:48:19] <seb_kuzminsky> i think it's applicable anytime you compare float arithmetic results to floats in ram
[16:48:29] <SWPadnos> yes
[16:48:54] <SWPadnos> if you do something like if (*foo > bar/baz), you could hit it
[16:49:23] <micges> I mean hm2 specifically
[16:49:39] <SWPadnos> oh
[16:49:44] <micges> other params can't hit that trunc problem?
[16:50:00] <seb_kuzminsky> i haven't checked... probably should go audit all the realtime code
[16:50:01] <SWPadnos> note that the "problem" that was fixed is only that dmesg would get spammed
[16:50:35] <SWPadnos> it should work the same, since all valiues are eventually converted to 64-bit floats when they're stored
[16:50:40] <seb_kuzminsky> and a single superfluous store-to-ram, but who's counting ;-)
[16:50:47] <SWPadnos> heh
[16:52:20] <micges> I see
[16:53:04] <seb_kuzminsky> by the way, we could easily add branches to the buildbot, if people want
[16:53:54] <micges> joints_axes3 could be
[17:03:33] <seb_kuzminsky> hm, building joints_axes3 with the "-trunk-" builders would be easy but the names would become misleading
[17:03:51] <seb_kuzminsky> making new builders for the new branch makes the waterwall display even wider
[17:04:28] <seb_kuzminsky> renaming the builders to something like "-trunkish-" might be best
[17:17:45] <seb_kuzminsky> grr, submitting a build to buildbot 0.7.9 via the admin webpage bypasses the scheduler branch restrictions
[17:21:58] <micges> seb: if it is problem forget it
[17:22:38] <seb_kuzminsky> i think it's done, testing it now, i was just too impatient to wait for a new commit so i told it to rebuild an old one
[17:23:06] <seb_kuzminsky> and i got a bit too excited and overdid it ;-)
[17:46:48] <seb_kuzminsky> all the 2.3 builds are going to fail, because they're going to check out master but not run autogen
[17:46:50] <seb_kuzminsky> sry...
[17:46:51] <seb_kuzminsky> bbl
[17:47:37] <seb_kuzminsky> oh yeah, but after that it should be good, the 2.3 builds are untouched, the trunk builds are renamed to "trunkish" and build both master and joints_axes3
[18:05:58] <cradek> seb_kuzminsky: the builds still happen automatically don't they?
[18:11:27] <cradek> answering my own question: I think so - the hook is there
[18:22:39] <SWPadnos> wow. the 5i23 is a tiny board
[18:23:17] <SWPadnos> it basically extends about 1mm beyond the PCI connector
[18:23:24] <SWPadnos> maybe less
[20:26:21] <seb_kuzminsky> cradek: should do, yeah, i dont know why they wouldnt
[20:34:16] <jepler> # On branch v2_3_branch
[20:34:16] <jepler> # Your branch and 'origin/v2_3_branch' have diverged,
[20:34:16] <jepler> # and have 516 and 186 different commit(s) each, respectively.
[20:34:21] <jepler> I think I just did something wrong
[20:34:48] <seb_kuzminsky> heh
[20:36:33] <CIA-3> EMC: 03jepler 07v2_3_branch * r99c26fa12775 10/ (debian/changelog src/hal/drivers/mesa-hostmot2/stepgen.c): hm2 stepgen bugfix for float-precision logspew problem
[20:39:10] <seb_kuzminsky> thanks jeff
[20:39:19] <jepler> sure thing
[20:39:33] <jepler> now I just have to find the motivation to do testing and a release this weekend
[21:09:27] <jepler> hm, on this machin I have io, halui, and hal_manualtoolchange processes left over from as long ago as july 1
[21:09:30] <jepler> I wonder why they haven't exited