#emc-devel | Logs for 2009-06-23

[01:53:14] <stustev> cradek: the pivot length is working great - did you change something?
[01:53:47] <stustev> I am working on the orthogonal compensation now - the last thing
[01:57:01] <jmkasunich> lol:
[01:57:01] <jmkasunich> checking for libusb... checking for libusb-config... false
[01:57:01] <jmkasunich> checking for random stuff to make you feel better... failed
[01:57:01] <jmkasunich> checking for libexpat... -lexpat
[02:53:36] <cradek> stustev: heh, nope, I didn't do anything
[02:53:52] <cradek> the only thing I did was update halui so it has pins that show all three tool "lengths"
[02:54:13] <stustev> it seems to be working just like I want
[02:54:54] <stustev> I don't know if I will use the tool lengths but it seemed as if they should have been updated
[02:54:54] <cradek> excellent!
[02:54:54] <seb_kuzminsky> the buildbot hasnt gotten any email from the commit list since June 19
[02:55:03] <seb_kuzminsky> i'm still getting it
[02:55:08] <cradek> seb_kuzminsky: commits have been going wild...
[02:55:15] <cradek> what address does it use? I can check on it.
[02:55:23] <seb_kuzminsky> buildmaster@emc2-buildbot.colorado.edu
[02:56:28] <cradek> stustev: yes if nothing else, you could use that to display them on something.
[02:57:28] <cradek> seb_kuzminsky: "Delivery was disabled by the user via their personal options page."
[02:57:49] <seb_kuzminsky> hmm
[02:58:05] <cradek> the only other two options are "by list administrators" and "due to excessive bounces"
[02:58:18] <cradek> but it does say disabled by user for buildbot.
[02:58:25] <cradek> I can reenable it if you want
[02:58:27] <seb_kuzminsky> maybe somebody hax0red my buildbot
[02:58:36] <seb_kuzminsky> i'll do it (if i can remember the passwd...)
[03:00:00] <cradek> huh, 46 people get commit emails - that's more than I expected.
[03:00:36] <cradek> stustev: do you have new git checkouts yet?
[03:01:01] <stustev> yes - on two boxes - worked perfectly and fast
[03:01:15] <cradek> great
[03:01:28] <seb_kuzminsky> odd
[03:01:30] <seb_kuzminsky> * seb_kuzminsky shrugs
[03:01:37] <stustev> my only complaint is the 'axis jog' is not working yet :)
[03:01:47] <cradek> I have only heard positive things about the git switch so far, except for from one :-)
[03:02:03] <cradek> stustev: "not working yet" is a bit of an understatement...
[03:02:04] <seb_kuzminsky> dude i love it! :-)
[03:02:20] <cradek> yay!
[03:02:25] <stustev> would 'not even started' be more accurate?
[03:02:27] <cradek> I'll get used to it - still learning the tricks.
[03:02:33] <cradek> stustev: yep
[03:02:47] <cradek> seb_kuzminsky: I see the mails are enabled now
[03:02:53] <seb_kuzminsky> yeah i just poked it
[03:03:04] <seb_kuzminsky> strange that it got disabled
[03:03:20] <cradek> yeah, I expected to see bounces - this was a surprise
[03:03:28] <cradek> change your password for good measure?
[03:03:38] <seb_kuzminsky> now i need to teach it to parse the new commit emails, and teach the slaves to check out from git
[03:03:52] <SWPadnos> stustev, no, it's been started
[03:03:57] <cradek> I think I'm done changing the emails for a while now...
[03:04:04] <seb_kuzminsky> good idea, new passwds all around...
[03:04:07] <cradek> does it have to do anything except pull when it gets one?
[03:04:08] <stustev> oh my - can hardly wait
[03:04:17] <SWPadnos> stustev, you have started the spec, haven't you?
[03:04:24] <seb_kuzminsky> cradek: well it has to know what branch to pull from
[03:04:33] <stustev> what spec?
[03:04:41] <seb_kuzminsky> cradek: any chance you want to run the buildbot-poker in the git post-commit hook?
[03:04:43] <cradek> seb_kuzminsky: oh true. that's easy - in the subject
[03:04:47] <SWPadnos> the axis jogging spec, of course
[03:04:57] <SWPadnos> can't write code until we know what it's supposed to do
[03:04:59] <cradek> what does it have to do?
[03:05:03] <cradek> seb_kuzminsky: ^
[03:05:08] <SWPadnos> :)
[03:05:17] <stustev> the spec is 'jog the axes with a jog wheel or button'
[03:05:26] <SWPadnos> too vague. next!
[03:05:32] <cradek> stustev: including incremental jogs
[03:05:41] <SWPadnos> see, it's changing already!
[03:05:45] <cradek> SWPadnos: actually I think that is the full spec :-)
[03:05:51] <SWPadnos> damn
[03:05:59] <SWPadnos> well, at least it's been started
[03:06:14] <stustev> the spec is 'jog the axes with a jog wheel or button and incremental jogs'
[03:06:19] <cradek> SWPadnos: it should work like jogging currently works on trivkins machines, except now it should be in world mode on kins machines
[03:06:37] <SWPadnos> ok, like jmk's big diagram?
[03:06:50] <cradek> yes that was what jmk's diagram was about
[03:06:58] <cradek> also, he made text notes at fest
[03:07:08] <SWPadnos> oh
[03:07:11] <SWPadnos> I should read them
[03:07:12] <stustev> I didn't see the diagram - drat
[03:07:14] <SWPadnos> at next fest :)
[03:07:29] <stustev> the next fest is scheduled in 30 days :)
[03:07:35] <SWPadnos> the one he/we started at the Indian or Thai restaurant last year
[03:07:49] <cradek> stustev: there's probably still a printout in that room ... (with my power strip and network cable!)
[03:07:55] <SWPadnos> heh
[03:08:14] <cradek> sometime I'll trade your keys for that stuff! hahaha
[03:08:22] <SWPadnos> that is the one advantage of flying (other than the travel time) - less stuff to leave
[03:08:24] <cradek> (seriously, I still have the keys)
[03:08:26] <stustev> what does your power strip and network cable look like - they are probably in my office now
[03:08:49] <stustev> cradek: you and Matt S
[03:08:51] <cradek> it's completely unimportant, don't worry, just making a joke
[03:09:20] <cradek> in fact I found a power strip in the basement just tonight and threw it in my laptop bag - problem solved.
[03:09:36] <cradek> it's the coffee-shop-power-distribution-device
[03:10:07] <cradek> stustev: I can ship them back to you.
[03:10:12] <stustev> what color is your network cable?
[03:10:30] <cradek> I think it was yellow
[03:10:43] <stustev> don't worry about the keys - the time you are here they will be useful
[03:10:46] <cradek> don't you dare ship me a stupid network cable :-)
[03:11:40] <stustev> I have a LOT of yellow cable - ALL of our patch cables are yellow - you can have one - no problem - I won't ship it overnight freight collect :)
[03:11:50] <cradek> haha
[03:12:21] <cradek> darn, I thought I had that pdf diagram, but I don't
[03:12:32] <cradek> let me check the other computer
[03:14:07] <jmkasunich> that pdf is online, lemme find it
[03:14:36] <stustev> I thought the culprit might be lurking :)
[03:14:37] <SWPadnos> emc2-motion-dataflow.pdf
[03:15:04] <jmkasunich> http://jmkasunich.com/pics/emc2-motion-dataflow.pdf
[03:15:05] <SWPadnos> http://jmkasunich.com/pics/emc2-motion-dataflow.pdf
[03:15:09] <jmkasunich> heh
[03:15:14] <cradek> ah, I was too slow, I found it too
[03:16:04] <stustev> looking at it - doesn't help me much YET
[03:17:02] <jmkasunich> the text doc is in cvs^H^H^H git
[03:17:38] <seb_kuzminsky> cradek: i think the git repo's post-receive hook should call the git_buildbot.py script distributed with buildbot, and that should do it
[03:18:01] <seb_kuzminsky> it's another thing to set up, but i think it's probably easier than parsing the email
[03:18:27] <cradek> if all you need is the branch, it's the first thing on the subject line
[03:18:44] <cradek> can you give me a url for git_buildbot.py?
[03:19:22] <seb_kuzminsky> http://github.com/djmitche/buildbot/blob/3a95b1107d23a0baf06f0075319ec6b774291690/contrib/git_buildbot.py
[03:19:31] <seb_kuzminsky> or it's in the buildbot package
[03:20:02] <seb_kuzminsky> cradek: other handy things to get would be the committer and the revno of the commit
[03:20:20] <seb_kuzminsky> so if the commits stack up while the buildbot is busy, it can properly attribute changes to committer
[03:20:48] <seb_kuzminsky> * seb_kuzminsky looks at the git_buildbot script
[03:20:57] <seb_kuzminsky> wow, 300 lines to communicate that stuff to the buildmaster?
[03:21:10] <cradek> yeah, it's sure big
[03:23:27] <cradek> argh, python now
[03:23:36] <cradek> every single interpreted language...
[03:25:47] <cradek> I assume I have to change the master = "localhost:9989" line?
[03:26:02] <seb_kuzminsky> yes, or give it --master on the command-line
[03:26:16] <seb_kuzminsky> if you dont want to install python i can update the email parser script i wrote
[03:26:36] <cradek> python is no problem - done already
[03:26:38] <seb_kuzminsky> the buildmaster url is emc2-buildbot.colorado.edu:51332
[03:27:33] <cradek> done
[03:27:35] <seb_kuzminsky> port 51332, good joke eh?
[03:27:39] <seb_kuzminsky> cool, thanks!
[03:28:25] <cradek> don't thank me until we see it work :-)
[03:28:26] <jmkasunich> I must have failed leet, dunno what 51332 is supposed to mean. "sleet"?
[03:28:46] <seb_kuzminsky> 5,13,3,2
[03:28:55] <seb_kuzminsky> emc2!
[03:29:12] <cradek> I would have figured that out any second
[03:29:35] <jmkasunich> I already had it figured out, I was just testing you
[03:29:40] <seb_kuzminsky> heh
[03:29:48] <cradek> yeah, and it was my next guess
[03:30:25] <seb_kuzminsky> anyone mind if i disable the 2.2 builds?
[03:30:44] <seb_kuzminsky> anyone other than paul, i mean
[03:31:01] <jmkasunich> emc 2.2 you mean?
[03:31:11] <seb_kuzminsky> yeah, the 2.2 branch
[03:31:37] <jmkasunich> I'm still using it (not that users = needs to be in buildbot)
[03:32:03] <seb_kuzminsky> if it's still getting commits i should be in the buildbot
[03:32:19] <seb_kuzminsky> it doesnt cost any extra to keep it there, it just clutters the waterfall page a bit
[03:32:43] <jmkasunich> I bet few devs will be doing anything with 2.2, and I don't think we intend to have another 2.2.x bugfix release
[03:33:38] <seb_kuzminsky> that's my thinking too
[03:35:11] <jmkasunich> gps + google maps is amazing
[03:35:44] <cradek> I recently discovered that my "phone" does both of those things
[03:36:11] <jmkasunich> in places where I was walking on a visible path (satellite photos), the track is within about 30 feet of the path
[03:36:53] <jmkasunich> however, the altitude data from the GPS is a lot worse
[03:37:09] <jmkasunich> the first map I posted (which I've since deleted) had lots of up and down that wasn't real
[03:37:33] <jmkasunich> I ran the lat-long track thru an online thing that looks up the actual elevation of the ground, and the new elevation track is much better
[03:42:28] <seb_kuzminsky> * seb_kuzminsky cringes and waits for someone to commit
[03:48:54] <CIA-3> EMC: 03cradek 07master * re7161ad092a5 10/README: As often as not, people building from source want a sim build.
[03:49:05] <seb_kuzminsky> thx :-)
[03:49:07] <cradek> seb_kuzminsky: ImportError: No module named twisted.spread
[03:49:11] <cradek> nah, it failed
[03:49:56] <seb_kuzminsky> twisted python rocks
[03:50:06] <seb_kuzminsky> what distro are you running on the git host?
[03:50:20] <seb_kuzminsky> how do you say "perl -C" in python?
[03:50:20] <cradek> freebsd
[03:50:30] <seb_kuzminsky> there's got to be a port for twisted
[03:50:51] <cradek> there are 14 py-twistedSomething
[03:52:52] <SWPadnos> see you guys later
[03:52:57] <seb_kuzminsky> goodnight SWPadnos
[03:58:03] <seb_kuzminsky> cradek: do you want me to do the script for email parsing?
[03:58:21] <cradek> let me flail for a while longer first
[03:58:30] <cradek> this seems like a better solution
[03:59:49] <seb_kuzminsky> an alternative to that git_buildbot script is to shell out to "buildbot sendchange" directly
[04:00:11] <seb_kuzminsky> it takes command-line arguments specifying the revno, branch, etc, stuff that's probably command-line arguments to git's post-receive hook
[04:01:56] <seb_kuzminsky> of course i bet buildbot needs twisted...
[04:02:12] <seb_kuzminsky> does freebsd ports do dependency tracking between packages?
[04:02:47] <seb_kuzminsky> brb
[04:17:13] <cradek> seb_kuzminsky: I got it to run, and I think I told it the right thing - it should have triggered
[04:21:55] <seb_kuzminsky> cool!
[04:22:00] <cradek> did it?
[04:22:49] <seb_kuzminsky> yes, but my buildmaster config is broken
[04:23:09] <cradek> oh good :-)
[04:24:29] <seb_kuzminsky> ok try it again
[04:24:57] <seb_kuzminsky> or maybe i can, hold on
[04:25:37] <cradek> I did
[04:25:41] <cradek> I think
[04:25:58] <cradek> I ran it and typed '274bc6f02b747956889f4580dda39f5be55db97e e7161ad092a56b7894ee42a4f75d7c2aa26853b1 refs/heads/master' on stdin
[04:26:20] <seb_kuzminsky> i see you saying that
[04:26:22] <seb_kuzminsky> looks like it took
[04:26:41] <seb_kuzminsky> all the trunk buildslaves are waiting for 1 minute to see if you're going to commit again
[04:27:03] <seb_kuzminsky> that's kind of a cvs-ism, that delay should probably shrink way down now that we're using git
[04:27:05] <cradek> ha, they shouldn't have to do that anymore, should they?
[04:27:37] <seb_kuzminsky> here they go...
[04:28:28] <cradek> now your pythons are broken
[04:29:36] <seb_kuzminsky> dpkg fail!
[04:29:46] <cradek> welcome to my world
[04:30:30] <cradek> I'm surprised it's trying to use cg - I thought that was discontinued
[04:32:19] <seb_kuzminsky> i thought so too
[04:32:30] <seb_kuzminsky> there's no cogito package in hardy or dapper
[04:38:24] <seb_kuzminsky> i bet it's the older version of buildbot on hardy & dapper vs lenny
[04:39:51] <cradek> seb_kuzminsky: if you need newer git on dapper, install the linuxcnc git1.6 packages from the emc2.3 repo
[04:40:59] <seb_kuzminsky> ok great
[04:43:10] <cradek> I need to get to bed - hope you get it soon - if you need anything from me, send me an email.
[04:44:43] <seb_kuzminsky> ok thanks cradek, that post-commit hook helped a lot
[04:44:46] <seb_kuzminsky> good night
[04:47:25] <seb_kuzminsky> cradek: i got git from dapper-backports
[04:56:29] <seb_kuzminsky> hi BigJohnT
[06:30:50] <CIA-3> EMC: 03cmorley 07master * r3617c8422348 10/src/emc/usr_intf/pncconf/pncconf-help/ (help-load.txt help-welcome.txt): Add help pages
[06:30:51] <CIA-3> EMC: 03cmorley 07master * r120181e860d8 10/src/emc/usr_intf/pncconf/ (pncconf.glade pncconf.py): Update steptest / add helpwindow
[06:30:52] <CIA-3> EMC: 03cmorley 07master * rb69ecc965a22 10/ (77 files in 18 dirs): Merge branch 'master' of ssh://cmorley@git.linuxcnc.org/git/emc2
[09:28:36] <micges1> micges1 is now known as micges_plasma
[12:03:22] <CIA-3> EMC: 03jepler 07v2_3_branch * rdb12e7776cb4 10/tcl/bin/halshow.tcl: Fix the watch display - scientific notation
[12:22:54] <micges> jepler: what do you think about this component: http://www.pastebin.ca/1471045
[12:24:09] <SWPadnos> it's more of a "bus" component than an and array
[12:24:58] <micges> right
[12:25:09] <micges> but it eliminates 20 ands from my hal file
[12:25:13] <SWPadnos> heh
[12:25:41] <SWPadnos> it looks like it should work, the only question I'd have is what to call it
[12:25:51] <SWPadnos> and2_array might be fine
[12:28:14] <micges> that component should be usable until hal design allow better solutions
[12:28:56] <SWPadnos> out of curiosity, what do you use that for?
[12:29:01] <jepler> Instead of incorporating every component that's written to suit the needs of one person, I'd rather find a way to make it even easier to use custom .comp files
[12:29:24] <SWPadnos> sudo comp --install seems pretty easy
[12:29:45] <jepler> the coolest thing would be if you can 'loadrt mycustomcomp' and it would look in the working directory for mycustomcomp.comp and build it if necessary...
[12:30:11] <SWPadnos> hmmm. I can't tell if you'r ejoking :)
[12:30:22] <jepler> no, I'm pretty serious
[12:30:47] <jepler> I wouldn't mind if I could hide it from users that comps have to actually be built by the C compiler and all that junk
[12:31:07] <SWPadnos> that would be cool, though wouldn't it eliminate half the reasons for having emc_module_helper?
[12:31:07] <jepler> yum, I just got fresh raspberries from the garden
[12:31:11] <SWPadnos> mmmm
[12:31:27] <jepler> that's certainly one of the open questions..
[12:31:27] <SWPadnos> if not all of them
[12:31:53] <jepler> if not that, maybe a system directory full of .comps that can be rebuilt with one command, and rebuilt automatically when a new emc2 package is installed
[12:32:01] <SWPadnos> I'd be in favor of that level of automation only if all the compilers and tools needed for comp are included in a base install
[12:33:07] <jepler> yes, that's part of my happy place vision
[12:33:14] <SWPadnos> heh
[12:33:22] <SWPadnos> brought on by fresh raspberries?
[12:33:32] <jepler> can someone please try 2.3 with these commits cherry-picked: 2a019987bb35c9761750103afa55b234b184fba2 4cb0cd53921a5fed2710a2030849717f4355cbab
[12:33:48] <jepler> i'd like to include those changes (they lower CPU use in axis dramatically, particularly when showing the big dro)
[12:33:54] <jepler> but I've only tested them on one system
[12:33:58] <SWPadnos> is sim OK?
[12:34:01] <jepler> should be
[12:34:14] <jepler> after checking out v2_3_branch, just git cherry-pick each of those revisions
[12:34:20] <SWPadnos> ok, let's see how long it takes me to figure out how to do that
[12:34:37] <jepler> argh, it conflicts .. hmm
[12:35:23] <micges> jepler: what values of cpu use you have before and after ?
[12:35:37] <jepler> micges: I don't remember the specific values
[12:36:18] <micges> I've check that change but it was about 5% change
[12:36:31] <jepler> SWPadnos: don't bother trying to cherry-pick those changes .. I'll prepare a patch that works against 2.3.
[12:36:43] <SWPadnos> ok - I see the conflict
[12:36:54] <SWPadnos> message
[12:39:28] <jepler> should apply to v2_3_branch with git-am: http://emergent.unpy.net/index.cgi-files/sandbox/axis-display-optimizations.mbox
[12:39:35] <jepler> hmmm but I spot something that's still not quite as intended..
[12:39:48] <jepler> SWPadnos: it'd still be nice to know if that works for you, though
[12:40:10] <jepler> bbl, I have to head for the office
[12:40:23] <SWPadnos> did you more or less have to keep the changes, or was there any real merging involved?
[12:42:51] <micges> SWPadnos: about and2_Array: I've wrote it to link my front panel of machine iwth many buttons to hal and with option to disable part of panel
[12:44:22] <SWPadnos> ok, cool
[12:52:04] <SWPadnos> hmmm
[12:52:26] <SWPadnos> so I tried to cherry-pick, which didn't work due to the merge conflict
[12:52:52] <SWPadnos> then I edited the couple of spots that showed conflicts (with the <<<<< markers)
[12:53:09] <SWPadnos> then I tried the patch, which failed in a couple of spots
[12:53:30] <SWPadnos> so I figured I'd start over with it and removed axis.py (using rm)
[12:54:01] <SWPadnos> then tried to git pull, and got a message "You are in the middle of a conflicted merge"
[12:56:40] <cradek> when you fix a merge conflict, you have to say so by git-adding that file
[12:57:48] <SWPadnos> I didn't actually fix it, I just made it pass the syntax check :)
[13:00:05] <jepler> in the conflicts I saw, it looked like you wanted to take the empty version
[13:00:16] <jepler> the other half was related to rotation support
[13:00:46] <jepler> other side, that is
[13:01:01] <SWPadnos> there were only two conflicts, and they were both very short sections, maybe 5 lines, dealing with fonts
[13:01:21] <SWPadnos> that was after the chery-pick
[13:01:28] <SWPadnos> +r
[13:01:28] <jepler> fonts? hm, that's not what I remember seeing
[13:01:36] <jepler> I wonder if I gave the wrong commit ids
[13:01:45] <SWPadnos> I only did the first one
[14:48:11] <jepler> cradek: did you say we had a choice in whether to report merges on -commit / cia? or did I dream that?
[14:48:19] <jepler> because I'm wondering whether the right decision is not to show them..
[14:49:02] <cradek> I don't know of a way to do that offhand
[14:49:09] <jepler> oh. darn.
[14:49:13] <jepler> git log has a "no merges" flag
[14:49:18] <cradek> of course if there is a git command that discriminates them I could use it
[14:50:12] <jepler> if the thing that decides what to print is basd on git-rev-list or git-log, you can try --no-merges
[14:52:34] <cradek> yes it is, I'll add that
[15:45:02] <seb_kuzminsky> good morning
[15:45:39] <micges> morning seb
[15:46:40] <seb_kuzminsky> micges: are the hm2 stepgen bugs you reported earlier all gone now?
[15:48:40] <micges> it looks like yes
[15:48:58] <seb_kuzminsky> yay ^__^
[15:49:12] <micges> machine is working about week
[15:49:24] <micges> on 2.3.2
[15:49:32] <seb_kuzminsky> i was unable to reproduce the hm2 encoder velocity NaN bug you reported, can you give more details on how to reproduce?
[15:50:37] <micges> all bugs was gone but only one: 1 of 5 boots of pc make direction of one axis inverted, like cables was swapped
[15:51:02] <micges> but after applying new firmware everything works correct
[15:51:38] <micges> seb: I will messing with NaN in next week then I'll get some details
[15:51:59] <seb_kuzminsky> ok cool
[15:52:26] <jepler> seb_kuzminsky: thanks for working on buildbot
[15:52:47] <micges> oh wait, on thursday I'll be fixing THAT buggy machine on which bugs showed up
[15:53:16] <micges> seb: but I've learned how to get usefull data so will be ok
[15:53:22] <seb_kuzminsky> jepler: i just do it so you'll keep posting cool zenbot pics
[15:53:44] <seb_kuzminsky> i just need to figure out what to do with dapper now...
[15:56:19] <jepler> seb_kuzminsky: yeah, too bad we're supporting dapper for emc2.3
[15:57:32] <jepler> (hm, I'm a bit surprised that buildbot doesn't abbreviate commit ids for the grid display .. it would be a huge improvement)
[15:58:36] <jepler> seb_kuzminsky: how did you happen to choose buildbot 0.7.9? I see hardy's version is 0.7.6 and the current is 0.7.10p1
[15:58:47] <seb_kuzminsky> ah, the joy of git revnos ;-)
[15:59:01] <seb_kuzminsky> the buildmaster is running interpid, which has 0.7.9
[15:59:12] <jepler> dapper's I see
[15:59:27] <jepler> err
[15:59:31] <seb_kuzminsky> urr?
[15:59:41] <jepler> I see
[16:00:01] <jepler> what is it about dapper that doesn't work with current buildbot?
[16:00:12] <jepler> 'python setup.py install --home $HOME' seemed to work
[16:01:25] <seb_kuzminsky> on dapper? cool
[16:01:25] <seb_kuzminsky> i tried to build a .deb, but maybe i should just install by hand
[16:01:26] <seb_kuzminsky> rip ftw
[16:02:08] <jepler> I can't run it, I don't have python-twisted-* installed..
[16:02:19] <jepler> * jepler begs his sysadmin to install it
[16:12:13] <jepler> hmm the testsuite prints at least one error
[16:12:35] <jepler> inside buildbot.test.test_ec2buildslave
[16:14:14] <jepler> and more in buildbot.test.test_run
[16:14:17] <jepler> so maybe it's not quite right
[16:19:27] <jepler> seb_kuzminsky: these are the failed tests: http://pastebin.ca/1471320
[16:20:37] <seb_kuzminsky> i think the git fix went into buildbot 0.7.7, maybe that older version does better with dapper
[16:20:42] <seb_kuzminsky> dapper's old twisted
[16:21:16] <jepler> let me get 0.7.7 and try it
[16:21:23] <seb_kuzminsky> thx jeff
[16:43:26] <jepler> seb_kuzminsky: 0.7.7 fails git tests: exceptions.ValueError: invalid literal for int():
[16:43:50] <seb_kuzminsky> lame
[16:45:09] <jepler> .10 has "many git fixes" and "use 'git foo' everywhere"
[16:45:25] <jepler> and 'git foo' (instead of git-foo) is required with the git 1.6 packages I have on this dapper
[16:46:01] <jepler> I have no idea if those other tests are important to the way we use buildbot; how can I test this system as an emc2-building slave? I should be able to do a deb build of v2_3_branch, or a sim build
[16:48:32] <seb_kuzminsky> here's my instructions for setting up a buildslave: http://emc2-buildbot.colorado.edu/buildslave-admin-guide.html
[16:49:32] <seb_kuzminsky> heh, guess i should update that for git
[16:49:42] <jepler> maybe
[16:54:15] <jepler> yes, it's a testsuite bug
[16:54:23] <jepler> it doesn't like a version string like
[16:54:52] <seb_kuzminsky> i can't say i blame it
[16:55:14] <jepler> OK, I think that buildbot 0.7.7 + small changes + git should work on dapper
[16:56:15] <seb_kuzminsky> dapper-backports has git, but you already packaged 1.6 for dapper right?
[17:01:38] <jepler> bbl
[17:34:42] <alex_joni> seb_kuzminsky: right, cradek did
[17:34:52] <alex_joni> the packages are in the dapper repo
[17:35:21] <seb_kuzminsky> cool
[17:35:23] <seb_kuzminsky> hi alex!
[17:35:25] <seb_kuzminsky> :-)
[17:35:30] <alex_joni> seb_kuzminsky: http://linuxcnc.org/emc2/dists/dapper/emc2.3/binary-i386/ <- there
[17:35:34] <alex_joni> hi ;)
[17:59:31] <CIA-3> EMC: 03jepler 07master * r35f6955c4787 10/ (27 files in 3 dirs): remove the abandoned mesa_5i2x driver project per TODO
[18:00:14] <alex_joni> jepler: did cmorley revert BJT's commit that changes docs to 1.5.3?
[18:00:45] <jepler> alex_joni: umm
[18:00:56] <seb_kuzminsky> jepler: wow
[18:01:00] <seb_kuzminsky> no little test commit, that
[18:01:01] <seb_kuzminsky> bbl
[18:01:28] <jepler> I suppose I should have tested whether emc still built after that before pushing :-P
[18:01:43] <alex_joni> jepler: from cmorley's commit: 77 files changed, 31175 insertions(+), 20094 deletions(-)
[18:02:00] <cradek> that was a merge...
[18:02:00] <alex_joni> the commitdiff isn't helpfull though: http://git.linuxcnc.org/?p=emc2.git;a=commitdiff;h=b69ecc9
[18:02:11] <alex_joni> cradek: can you elaborate?
[18:02:15] <cradek> nope
[18:02:19] <cradek> :-)
[18:02:21] <alex_joni> :-)
[18:02:36] <cradek> I did make a change so we won't get the merge notices
[18:04:17] <jepler> !git diff 35f6955c4787bdaca890e4ba78a1d46f73ed9404 274bc6f02b747956889f4580dda39f5be55db97e -- docs
[18:04:26] <jepler> I ran this command, and it doesn't show differences
[18:04:46] <alex_joni> ah, it's described here: http://lists.sip-router.org/pipermail/sr-dev/2009-April/001386.html
[18:04:48] <jepler> (those are the revisions of origin/master and "Convert Documents")
[18:05:25] <jepler> it doesn't show differences, so I know that chris morley's commit didn't unintentionally undo those changes
[18:06:16] <alex_joni> jepler: see the link I pasted, it describes the exact same issue some other guys had
[18:06:28] <alex_joni> he pulled, then did his changes
[18:06:36] <alex_joni> in the mean time master was incremented by BJTs commit
[18:06:41] <jepler> without doing this detective work I'm not sure how to tell whether the result of the merge is what was right -- for instance, if you merge with --strategy=ours, you throw away all the changes in the other side of the merge..
[18:06:56] <alex_joni> when he tried to push, he had a stale checkout, so he had to pull
[18:07:20] <alex_joni> if he would do "git pull --rebase" that would undo his changes, get the changes from master, then apply his changes locally
[18:07:47] <alex_joni> then a "git push" would be with the revisions in the expected order
[18:15:35] <CIA-3> EMC: 03jepler 07master * r4a3497da7251 10/src/ (Makefile Makefile.inc.in): finish removing hal_5i2x
[18:23:14] <micges> alex_joni: on main page linuxcnc.org there is no login section , on others pages it is
[18:24:15] <alex_joni> micges: I know, I disabled it
[18:24:22] <micges> oh ok
[18:24:27] <alex_joni> we get lots of spammers registering on the first page
[18:24:54] <micges> I see
[18:44:57] <jepler> seb_kuzminsky: oh, I should make it clear that what I ended up using was 0.7.10p1 unmodified
[18:47:46] <micges> jepler: on my machine axis cpu usage didn't change between preview and dro, but I have xorg cpu=32% on preview and 22% on DRO (if that helps you)
[19:06:56] <jepler> the difference is dramatic on my system. Before, Xorg 36% axis 4% while running flowsnake in a maximized window on a 1600x1200 screen. After, Xorg <2%. Of course, this is a "sim" machine with nvidia opengl installed..
[19:07:36] <jepler> ymmv
[19:08:38] <micges> on trunk xorg=30%, on 2.3.2 xorg=60% so change is big
[19:09:14] <jepler> ok, the relative numbers help me understand what you meant
[19:09:49] <micges> ok
[19:41:07] <alex_joni> * alex_joni tries to rebase joints-axes2 against master
[19:43:30] <cradek> wonder if it was right, even back then
[20:05:52] <cradek> * cradek vaguely wonders how so many people are managing to have broken opengl lately
[20:07:26] <alex_joni> I wonder if I really borked the rebase :)
[20:08:41] <alex_joni> if I checked out the joints-axes2 branch
[20:08:47] <alex_joni> and I did a rebase against master
[20:09:04] <alex_joni> I now have all the commits that happened on master after joints-axes2 has been branched
[20:09:32] <alex_joni> how can I check what will be pushed?
[20:09:49] <cradek> run gitk and you'll see them
[20:11:18] <alex_joni> that's what I'm doing, but I can't say I'm "getting" it
[20:12:15] <alex_joni> cradek: http://imagebin.org/53455
[20:14:12] <jepler> I did git branch ja origin/joints_axes
[20:14:17] <jepler> git branch ja origin/joints_axes2
[20:14:21] <jepler> er
[20:14:22] <jepler> git checkout ja
[20:14:27] <alex_joni> the unstaged stuff is from git changing CRLF to LF (if I understood it correctly)
[20:14:27] <jepler> git rebase master
[20:14:35] <jepler> but then I got a conflict
[20:14:42] <alex_joni> jepler: I resolved the conflicts
[20:14:46] <jepler> in fact, a lot of them
[20:14:57] <jepler> ok, after you resolved them did you When you have resolved this problem run "git rebase --continue".
[20:15:07] <alex_joni> initially I had some conflicts, then it errored out, that it can't patch
[20:15:08] <jepler> er, did you "git rebase --continue"?
[20:15:15] <alex_joni> and that it will use the regular merge
[20:15:52] <jepler> (it looks like you didn't, because gitk shows that you have changes that haven't been checked in)
[20:16:05] <alex_joni> those are things git changed
[20:16:21] <alex_joni> I got a "Warning: CRLF line endings will be replaced with LF"
[20:16:47] <alex_joni> anyways, I'll try again tomorrow.. gotta run now :/
[20:16:56] <alex_joni> early trip to the airport tomorrow morning
[20:16:58] <alex_joni> good night all
[20:17:00] <jepler> ugh, have fun
[20:17:11] <alex_joni> yeah, thx
[20:17:35] <jepler> if you have changes that are not committed, then you haven't "resolved the problem" and "run git rebase --continue"
[20:22:04] <jepler> (you have to "git add" the file after you resolve the conflict manually)
[20:26:22] <CIA-3> EMC: 03jepler 07v2_3_branch * r5e22d76bba36 10/src/emc/usr_intf/axis/scripts/axis.py: in big dro, avoid doing some expensive operations every redraw
[20:26:23] <CIA-3> EMC: 03jepler 07v2_3_branch * rafd4e5ec2856 10/src/emc/usr_intf/axis/scripts/axis.py: don't redraw the big dro when showing plot window, and vice versa
[20:26:23] <CIA-3> EMC: 03jepler 07v2_3_branch * re3f44a2fcbdf 10/src/emc/usr_intf/axis/scripts/axis.py: this should short-circuit the redraw
[20:27:00] <CIA-3> EMC: 03jepler 07master * rd069a1e4ee93 10/src/emc/usr_intf/axis/scripts/axis.py: this should short-circuit the redraw
[20:40:16] <Roguish_> Roguish_ is now known as Roguish
[23:56:05] <KimK> KimK is now known as KimK_afk