#emc-devel | Logs for 2009-01-04

[00:15:05] <KimK> KimK is now known as KimK_brb
[01:36:45] <jepler> jmkasunich: I hope you'll weigh in on the thread 'standard signal name in stepconf'
[01:37:15] <jmkasunich> ehhh
[01:38:12] <jmkasunich> my reflexive reaction is to agree with you about droolers who can't write a net statement
[01:38:36] <jmkasunich> but Chris probably has a bit of a point as well with standardization
[01:39:06] <jmkasunich> except that it won't really make a difference if I'm trying to help a user, because I won't know anything about the stepconf "standard" signal names
[01:40:48] <jepler> if classicladder did the same thing with the same justification, you couldn't connect anything
[01:40:56] <jepler> you still have to know pin names for outputs if you need to invert outputs
[01:41:10] <jmkasunich> I didn't read the original mail closely
[01:41:20] <jepler> and we very seldom change pin names, so who cares
[01:41:29] <jmkasunich> is he naming the signals after the physical pin, or the function (like step, or limit, or whatever)?
[01:42:17] <jepler> after the physical pin, I think
[01:42:28] <jmkasunich> ick
[01:42:30] <jepler> "since you used stepconf from emc 2.3.x connect signal pp2digitalin2
[01:42:34] <jepler> to widget x"
[01:43:02] <jepler> oops excuse the terrible paste
[02:02:40] <cradek> I wish AXIS would remember the file loaded at shutdown and then reload it at startup
[02:02:52] <jmkasunich> instead of the splash g-code?
[02:02:58] <cradek> yeah
[02:03:22] <jmkasunich> SMOP
[02:03:25] <cradek> or maybe a 'recently opened' thingy on the file menu
[02:03:54] <cradek> I'm torn because I wouldn't want to lose the venerable splash screen
[02:04:11] <cradek> it's the first thing many people cut, and it's pretty decent for that
[02:05:05] <jepler> I've been thinking a 'recent' menu would be nice
[02:05:13] <jepler> but not enough to code it
[02:05:53] <jmkasunich> where is non-volatile info like a recent list usually stored?
[02:06:12] <jmkasunich> I'm thinking of my case where I have lathe and mill configs - it would be nice if each config had its own recent list
[02:06:38] <cradek> AXIS already has droppings, see ~/.axis*
[02:08:16] <CIA-1> EMC: 03cmorley 07TRUNK * 10emc2/src/emc/usr_intf/stepconf/stepconf.glade: Fix omission of out option in parport direction ( in/out ) combobox
[03:22:20] <cradek> yay, I think I fixed the remaining case (I knew of) that my concave cutter comp algorithm got wrong
[03:22:37] <jmkasunich> cool
[03:26:12] <cradek> http://timeguy.com/cradek-files/emc/trouble-case-fixed.png
[03:26:25] <cradek> it was this corner
[03:26:55] <cradek> "h" shape going right to left, line tangent to the arc
[03:28:00] <cradek> (the arc preceding is tangent to the "h" arc too)
[03:32:17] <CIA-1> EMC: 03cradek 07concave_comp2 * 10emc2/src/emc/rs274ngc/interp_convert.cc: fix corner case for tangent arc->line ("h" shape)
[03:33:21] <CIA-1> EMC: 03cradek 07concave_comp2 * 10emc2/src/emc/rs274ngc/interp_convert.cc: oops, debug print
[03:40:02] <cradek> this is a real "guess what the user wanted" case, yuck.
[03:42:13] <cradek> http://timeguy.com/cradek-files/emc/guess-what-the-user-wanted.png
[06:11:46] <SWPadnos> jepler, note that the CVS server seems to be down
[06:15:13] <KimK_> KimK_ is now known as KimK
[12:19:41] <steve-tek> evenin' folks
[12:20:18] <steve-tek> just succeeded in getting my mesa 7i43 to talk to emc :D
[13:26:48] <alex_joni> morning BigJohnT
[13:27:47] <BigJohnT> hi alex_joni
[13:28:12] <BigJohnT> whats up today in your part of the world
[13:37:51] <alex_joni> hmm.. actually looking at some emc2 code for a change :)
[13:38:48] <alex_joni> I must say, I'm a bit rusty here and there
[13:41:10] <BigJohnT> :)
[14:10:59] <BigJohnT> oh well I'll just go back to the manuals perhaps it will come to me what is wrong later...
[14:11:20] <alex_joni> about what?
[14:11:27] <alex_joni> pastebin it, I might spot something
[14:12:06] <BigJohnT> ok, it's pretty small driver do you want the whole thing?
[14:13:26] <alex_joni> anyhow ;)
[14:15:18] <BigJohnT> http://pastebin.ca/1299616
[14:15:44] <BigJohnT> look at line 293 or so
[14:15:46] <alex_joni> ok.. what's the issue?
[14:16:38] <BigJohnT> I get an at speed at the start I assume it is because the speed commanded is still 0 as is the actual speed at that point
[14:16:54] <alex_joni> sounds probable
[14:18:42] <alex_joni> hmm.. you set old_speed_cmd = * .. speed_command
[14:18:44] <alex_joni> line 267
[14:19:42] <BigJohnT> hmm forgot to delete that try
[14:22:04] <BigJohnT> hmm, I might need to just get a fresh copy and start over now that I understand more about what I didn't know about it :)
[14:23:18] <alex_joni> BigJohnT: wanna swap debugging with me?
[14:23:28] <BigJohnT> sure
[14:23:35] <alex_joni> I'm sure you don't :)
[14:23:52] <BigJohnT> well at least mine half way works now :)
[14:24:38] <BigJohnT> thanks for taking a look at it
[14:24:57] <alex_joni> sure .. a new set of eyes most always helps
[14:34:54] <alex_joni> cradek, jepler: any of you around?
[15:31:02] <alex_joni> jepler: that TxxM6 bug is evil
[15:31:44] <jepler> alex_joni: oh, the mdi one?
[15:31:45] <jepler> so sorry
[15:32:41] <alex_joni> well... not your fault ;)
[15:32:54] <jepler> I went and reported it on sourceforge instead of shrugging and moving on
[15:32:57] <alex_joni> I got it to a point where it "sometimes' works right
[15:33:05] <jepler> ugh, that's the worst spot to be in
[15:33:10] <alex_joni> but why it works right "sometimes" sure beats me
[15:33:17] <jepler> it makes you never trust the solution that seems to work "all" the time, either
[15:33:22] <alex_joni> right
[15:33:37] <alex_joni> well.. the problem is that tool_prep has waiting_for_io as a precondition
[15:33:45] <alex_joni> but it should also have it as a post condition
[15:35:10] <alex_joni> hmm.. no, maybe that's not right
[15:40:04] <alex_joni> grrr..
[15:40:24] <jepler> apparently it's a bad hosting day all 'round
[15:40:36] <alex_joni> [dinero]$ uptime
[15:40:36] <alex_joni> 07:40:07 up 3 min, 1 user, load average: 1.98, 0.90, 0.34
[15:40:48] <alex_joni> now it's up to 4.56
[16:22:38] <CIA-1> EMC: 03bigjohnt 07TRUNK * 10emc2/docs/src/drivers/ (m5i20.lyx GS2.lyx): move to own file
[16:26:40] <CIA-1> EMC: 03bigjohnt 07TRUNK * 10emc2/docs/src/hal/ (basic_hal.lyx drivers.lyx): moved m5i20 to seperate file
[16:28:32] <CIA-1> EMC: 03bigjohnt 07TRUNK * 10emc2/docs/src/drivers/GS2.lyx: add drivers files to html and integrator manual
[16:28:34] <CIA-1> EMC: 03bigjohnt 07TRUNK * 10emc2/docs/src/ (Master_Integrator.lyx Submakefile docs.xml index.tmpl): add drivers files to html and integrator manual
[17:10:50] <jepler> "The Perl Foundation has announced they are switching their version control systems to git."
[17:13:09] <jepler> ugh, I had no idea perl was in "perforce", a proprietary SCM
[17:14:36] <jepler> ah, their switch to perforce was part of activestate's efforts to build a business model around free software scripting languages (perl, python, tcl/tk)
[17:15:06] <jepler> before that, plain rcs? inconceivable
[17:16:52] <SWPadnos> you keep using that word
[17:16:59] <SWPadnos> I do not think it means what you think it means
[18:27:44] <alex_joni> which one?
[18:45:07] <alex_joni> holy crap, this is a beast: http://www.hitechglobal.com/Boards/V5_Multi_LX330.htm
[18:45:45] <alex_joni> I suspect that should hold enough IO's for any retrofit :D
[19:34:19] <cradek> http://pico-systems.com/images/vel48.png
[19:34:48] <cradek> (emc1: going around some cirles I think)
[19:45:52] <alex_joni> I remember there was a time (couple years ago), when people were very keen of posting gnuplot screenshots on the emc list :)
[19:48:26] <alex_joni> jepler: around?
[19:48:38] <alex_joni> do you remember what symlink caused the hostmot2 hotplug on boot?
[19:51:52] <christel> [Global Notice] Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen -- it's time for a somewhat late christmas pantomime.. I need to do a spot of rehubbing, it shouldn't take too long and you're welcome to point and laugh if it all breaks! Apologies for the inconvenience and have a nice day!
[19:53:03] <alex_joni> n/m I found it
[19:53:06] <alex_joni> http://www.linuxcnc.org/irc/irc.freenode.net:6667/emc/2008-09-11.txt
[20:00:50] <jepler> I thought it was already fixed in an rtai package update .. but I don't remember
[20:03:06] <alex_joni> I don't think so
[20:03:37] <alex_joni> * alex_joni looks
[20:04:17] <alex_joni> http://git.unpy.net/view?p=rtai.git;a=summary
[21:07:11] <cradek> I agree with jepler - I think it is already fixed
[21:46:11] <alex_joni> cradek: really?
[21:48:35] <cradek> yeah, I had the problem, and (mumble) update fixed it
[21:48:40] <alex_joni> I still see this: ln -sf ../../../../usr/realtime-$(KERNEL_VER)/modules debian/tmp/lib/modules/$(KERNEL_VER)/rtai
[21:48:44] <alex_joni> in the latest source
[21:49:21] <alex_joni> maybe it's not the ln I think about ..
[21:49:41] <alex_joni> hmm.. are you on amd64?
[21:49:48] <cradek> no
[21:50:22] <alex_joni> there's a slightly different package for amd64
[21:50:32] <alex_joni> rtai_3.6.1-linuxcnc.2 vs. .3
[21:51:22] <cradek> hm, I don't see anything relevant in the changelog (for the ones I have installed)
[21:52:37] <alex_joni> I still see the link in the latest deb
[21:53:16] <alex_joni> it's /lib/modules/2.6.24-16-rtai/rtai -> ...
[21:53:27] <cradek> I know I talked about (asked for help with) this in irc
[21:53:32] <cradek> it affected my lathe
[21:53:41] <cradek> but I can't find the log
[21:58:43] <alex_joni> hmm.. I only found the log that we should remove it
[21:58:47] <cradek> maybe I just removed the symlink.
[21:58:54] <cradek> sorry for the derail. I don't remember.
[21:59:08] <alex_joni> http://git.unpy.net/view?p=rtai.git;a=commitdiff;h=aba15223f6890a3b353954e84f2e5dfd12cab50d
[21:59:19] <alex_joni> that's jeff's commit that enabled it
[21:59:28] <alex_joni> I'll rebuild and push a new i386 package
[21:59:33] <cradek> I do have that changelog entry
[21:59:40] <alex_joni> are you around a machine on which you can test the new one?
[21:59:58] <cradek> yes but I'm not having the problem now, for some reason I don't remember
[22:00:11] <alex_joni> I'm happy if the mesa config still runs
[22:26:52] <alex_joni> new rtai package pushed
[22:27:02] <alex_joni> can someone else check if all is still in order?
[22:27:07] <alex_joni> looks that way here..
[22:32:40] <cradek> Need to get 39.3MB of archives.
[22:34:42] <cradek> what do I do to test it? reboot? and look for what?
[22:40:55] <cradek> after update, it boots and runs
[22:41:06] <cradek> I'm not sure how to do a full test for you
[22:41:25] <alex_joni> that's ok
[22:41:37] <alex_joni> boots & runs is enough for this
[22:41:45] <cradek> ok
[22:41:55] <cradek> goodnight then :-)
[22:42:00] <alex_joni> the only thing that could have happened is for the build to cause broken modules (_really_ unlikely)
[22:42:45] <cradek> bbl
[22:42:51] <BigJohnT> say goodnight Gracie
[22:43:20] <alex_joni> BigJohnT: goodnight Gracie
[22:59:53] <alex_joni> good night all
[23:00:07] <alex_joni> meh.. work again tomorrow :/
[23:36:23] <CIA-1> EMC: 03cmorley 07TRUNK * 10emc2/src/emc/usr_intf/stepconf/stepconf.py: Remove generation of signals for Parport 2 and 3. Fix the omission of writing parport 2 and 3 's output in the base thread. Fix address of parport 2 and 3 not being updated from basic page