#emc-devel | Logs for 2006-08-07

[01:01:16] <cradek> ok moving right along
[01:18:29] <jepler> danfalck: the things AXIS uses to import files need not be written in Python. They can be any program that takes the input file as the commandline argument, and writes g-code to standard output.
[01:28:19] <danfalck> jepler, thanks
[01:28:32] <danfalck> working on some of that right now
[01:29:19] <danfalck> I guess I'm just confused about the *.dxf and such as extensions
[01:29:32] <danfalck> since they aren't executable files like *.py files
[01:29:57] <jepler> PROGRAM_EXTENSION = .dxf 3D Polygon Model
[01:30:01] <jepler> dxf = toolpaths.py
[01:30:23] <danfalck> ok
[01:30:30] <jepler> these two lines mean that ".dxf" will appear as a type of file to open, and that if you select "foo.dxf" then AXIS will run 'toolpaths.py foo.dxf'
[01:30:42] <jepler> you probably don't have toolpaths.py, it's some unfinished software
[01:30:49] <danfalck> ok. now I get it
[01:31:14] <danfalck> but I have makebore.py and boltcircle.py : )
[01:31:30] <danfalck> been working on those today
[01:32:07] <danfalck> makebore comes from Jon Elson's makebore.c routine, which I am nailing on a python front end
[01:32:15] <danfalck> gotta go- dinner
[01:32:18] <jepler> see you
[01:32:22] <danfalck> thanks
[02:01:41] <jepler> jmkasunich: will you kick my ass if I make the doc building require Python too? I wrote a dependency-calculation program for .lyx files but it is in Python.
[02:02:07] <jepler> it won't hurt the old farm slots, because they won't have lyx available either
[02:04:27] <cradek> jepler: I happen to know he's many hours away
[02:04:31] <jmkasunich> no, as long as you put detection of the required python in the configure script
[02:04:57] <jmkasunich> I don't care if only 2% of people can make the docs
[02:05:26] <jmkasunich> as long as the 2% includes the people making our packages, and as long as the build errors out cleanly for the other 98%
[02:12:43] <jepler> Executing command:ps2pdf13 '15_home_jepler_src_emc2_docs_src_hal_parport-block-diag.eps' '15_home_jepler_src_emc2_docs_src_hal_parport-block-diag.pdf'
[02:12:56] <jepler> does your system execute a different program than ps2pdf13 at this step?
[02:13:51] <jmkasunich> yeah
[02:14:01] <jmkasunich> I think its epstopdf
[02:14:10] <jepler> huh
[02:14:21] <cradek> mine was also epstopdf I think
[02:14:28] <jmkasunich> lemme run it again
[02:14:34] <jepler> I did change some things in my lyx configuration to prevent it from putting horrible jpeg artifacts in the png files it included
[02:14:55] <jmkasunich> Executing command:epstopdf --outfile='15_home_john_emcdev_emc2head_docs_src_hal_parport-block-diag.pdf' '15_home_john_emcdev_emc2head_docs_src_hal_parport-block-diag.eps'
[02:16:32] <jmkasunich> my png images are clean
[02:16:56] <jmkasunich> pixelated if you blow em up to 400%, but thats to be expected, the source is fixed resolution
[02:18:08] <jepler> OK -- I'm sure you know jpeg artifacts from pixelation
[02:18:38] <jmkasunich> yes
[02:19:13] <jmkasunich> I'm looking at pngs in the hal document
[02:19:26] <jmkasunich> dunno if the ones in the user manual would be different, doubt it
[02:21:48] <jmkasunich> I remember seeing horrible jpeg artifacts a long time ago
[02:21:55] <jmkasunich> (like before I moved to ubuntu)
[02:22:21] <jmkasunich> I'm 99.9% certain my lyx config here is standard
[02:27:58] <jepler> this is me not worrying about the issue anymore
[02:29:40] <jmkasunich> does that mean you're not gonna commit hte dependency calculator?
[02:30:14] <jmkasunich> duh
[02:30:15] <jepler> no, I mean the issue f epstopdf vs ps2pdf13
[11:56:00] <alex_joni> rayh: morning ray
[11:57:58] <rayh> Hi alex. Sorry was away reading.
[12:01:15] <rayh> I just got a dapper running.
[12:27:05] <alex_joni> any issues?
[12:33:24] <rayh> Not that I can see. I don't have the EMC stuff yet but the upgrade was painless.
[12:33:39] <alex_joni> great
[12:33:58] <alex_joni> is this from CD or online?
[12:34:02] <rayh> I'll be away for a couple days.
[12:34:12] <rayh> When I get back I'll install the EMC and do some tests.
[12:34:30] <rayh> CD that I burned while at a customer's shop.
[12:34:56] <rayh> But I ran it as update of packages rather than new install.
[12:35:02] <rayh> I like that.
[12:35:29] <rayh> This was on a box with Nvidia chip.
[12:35:54] <rayh> With 5 I had to hand edit the display option.
[12:36:20] <rayh> Either this read the old or correctly found the hardware and set it up.
[12:45:15] <alex_joni> nice
[16:05:59] <cradek> "Because EMC2 is free software I can???t find any real help."
[16:06:07] <alex_joni> :/
[16:14:47] <alex_joni> reply on its way
[19:19:53] <alex_joni> cradek, jepler: one question for you..
[19:20:01] <alex_joni> I want to add spindle speed override
[19:20:16] <alex_joni> and I need a NML message for that.. what is better in your oppinion?
[19:20:45] <alex_joni> extend the EMC_TRAJ_SET_SCALE ro be able to set Feed_override and spindle_speed_override ? (and maybe g0_override too?)
[19:21:02] <alex_joni> or leave it somehow compatible, and have new NML messages?
[19:21:30] <jepler> I suspect that adding new NML messages is better. All the old GUIs will still work, but just be unable to set the spindle speed. Otherwise, won't you break the old GUIs?
[19:21:51] <alex_joni> unless I fix them
[19:22:24] <alex_joni> but I think new messages is better too.. just increases emc.cc and .hh
[19:27:55] <jepler> as for g0 override I really don't think there's a consensus about what functionality is needed
[19:28:10] <alex_joni> I can see the use
[19:28:17] <alex_joni> FO controlling everything
[19:28:21] <jepler> brb
[19:28:27] <alex_joni> and g0-fo controlling only g0
[19:28:52] <cradek> I can see the use of an overriding max vel and accel for all moves
[19:29:09] <alex_joni> oh.. yet another one ;)
[19:29:10] <cradek> a separate override for g0 only just seems pointless to me
[19:29:36] <alex_joni> cradek: not sure.. I'll work on spindle_speed_override for now
[19:29:48] <alex_joni> is that ok with you?
[19:29:54] <cradek> yes no problem with that
[19:30:09] <alex_joni> you'll probably cuss at me when you'll get at CSS
[19:30:33] <cradek> go ahead and add CSS while you're in there
[19:30:40] <alex_joni> lol.. sure
[19:30:48] <cradek> I notice it's not getting done
[19:31:22] <alex_joni> same here
[19:45:58] <alex_joni> one of these days we'll want to rewrite task
[19:46:04] <alex_joni> it's just insane what's in there
[20:19:42] <alex_joni> jepler: can you help me with something a bit later?
[20:19:56] <alex_joni> I have little clue about tcl/tk :/
[20:20:06] <alex_joni> s/little/no/
[20:32:41] <jepler> what's the question?
[20:34:28] <alex_joni> it's no question.. cause it'll take you more to explain it to me than actually doing it..
[20:34:41] <alex_joni> I want to add a new slider to tkemc for spindle_speed_override
[20:36:38] <jepler> ah -- but that would require me to decide the best place for it on the tkemc screen, and I'm unwilling to be the one who makes that decision.
[20:38:04] <alex_joni> I can say where it should go :D
[20:40:44] <alex_joni> I'll even commit the code :)
[20:43:04] <alex_joni> this can also stay only in halui for now ;)
[21:16:08] <alex_joni> hi john