#emc-devel | Logs for 2006-06-10

[12:36:37] <Lerneaen_Hydra_> Lerneaen_Hydra_ is now known as Lerneaen_Hydra
[14:57:12] <SWPadnos> SWPadnos is now known as SWP_Away
[20:27:23] <jmkasunich> hi y'all
[20:39:13] <skunkworks> Hi jmk - (have a dapper machine running - tonight it might make chips :)
[20:41:42] <jepler> hi jmkasunich
[20:41:47] <jepler> spotted any more problems in halscope?
[20:44:19] <jmkasunich> haven't used it lately
[20:44:31] <jmkasunich> been very busy with real life
[20:44:48] <alex_joni> hello
[20:44:52] <jmkasunich> hi
[20:44:57] <alex_joni> what's up?
[20:45:20] <alex_joni> I installed VMware Server & dapper today
[20:45:21] <jmkasunich> not much
[20:45:24] <alex_joni> works really nice
[20:45:32] <jmkasunich> just finished mowing the grass
[20:45:50] <alex_joni> heh.. nice ;)
[20:48:51] <alex_joni> wonder what's up with ray
[20:48:56] <alex_joni> haven't seen him in a while
[20:50:45] <jmkasunich> dunno
[21:18:53] <cradek> hi guys
[21:19:06] <jmkasunich> hi
[21:20:13] <alex_joni> hi chris
[21:21:49] <cradek> fuzzybutt (one of the new kittens) stood on my f1 key which opened 99 copies of gnome-help
[21:22:03] <jmkasunich> lol
[21:22:23] <jmkasunich> we used to have a cat we called fuzzbutt
[21:22:32] <jmkasunich> wasn't her real name
[21:22:35] <cradek> I'm not sure it's his real name either
[21:22:44] <cradek> it seems cats around here have several names
[21:22:44] <jmkasunich> but then most of our critters have multiple names anyway
[21:22:49] <cradek> ha
[21:23:14] <jmkasunich> "sfbd" is one of the dog's names
[21:23:31] <cradek> typically names should have at least one vowel
[21:23:44] <jmkasunich> its an acronym
[21:23:50] <jmkasunich> "shit for brains dog"
[21:23:53] <cradek> I figured
[21:23:56] <cradek> haha
[21:27:08] <jmkasunich> I'm adding SF "tasks" for the 2.1.0 release
[21:27:23] <jmkasunich> alex pasted some notes from the board meeting into the board channel
[21:27:33] <jmkasunich> can you take a look and see if he missed anything?
[21:27:45] <alex_joni> probably lots
[21:27:52] <alex_joni> I remember the list beeing longer
[21:29:23] <jmkasunich> some of these things could be listed as tasks or as feature requests
[21:29:52] <alex_joni> tasks is ok
[21:29:58] <alex_joni> if we decide we want to work on them
[21:30:08] <alex_joni> feature requests is more like a standby list
[21:30:11] <alex_joni> nothing urgent
[21:30:33] <jmkasunich> I just realized that I put the "end date" for each new task as today (the default)
[21:30:48] <jmkasunich> anybody care to guess at a target date for the 2.1.0 release?
[21:30:56] <alex_joni> .10 ?
[21:31:10] <jmkasunich> ?
[21:31:34] <alex_joni> like breezy 5.10
[21:31:40] <alex_joni> 6.10 means 2006, October
[21:31:46] <jmkasunich> 2.x.y, where 2 = emc2, x = major version, y = bugfix version
[21:31:52] <jmkasunich> has nothing to do with dates
[21:32:13] <alex_joni> I know.. but I really meant october
[21:32:22] <alex_joni> probably the .10 was too cryptic
[21:32:28] <jmkasunich> yeah, it was ;-)
[21:32:31] <alex_joni> nothing to do with 2.1.0
[21:32:55] <jmkasunich> october seems pretty far away
[21:33:06] <jmkasunich> but on the other hand, the task list is pretty long
[21:33:17] <alex_joni> and it's not half in there
[21:33:23] <jmkasunich> right
[21:34:02] <jmkasunich> we may actually decide that after some key features are working we will release 2.1 and leave the rest for 2.2
[21:34:23] <alex_joni> and there's the summer vacation
[21:34:29] <jmkasunich> right
[21:34:32] <jmkasunich> I
[21:34:36] <alex_joni> not sure about you guys, but I'll be gone about a month :D
[21:34:54] <jmkasunich> I'll set the target dates for these tasks to 1-Oct-2006
[21:35:21] <alex_joni> how about sept?
[21:35:33] <alex_joni> then one month for overdue stuff?
[21:35:35] <jmkasunich> 30-sept-2006 ? ;-)
[21:35:41] <alex_joni> 15 sept
[21:36:02] <jmkasunich> ok
[21:36:59] <alex_joni> done
[21:37:06] <jmkasunich> I'm setting a few to be earlier
[21:37:18] <alex_joni> ok
[21:40:08] <jmkasunich> I see you are setting dependencies too...
[21:40:32] <alex_joni> only added the 2.1.0 release
[21:40:40] <alex_joni> and set it dependent on the others
[21:40:51] <alex_joni> but I'll wait for you to finish..
[21:41:40] <jmkasunich> just changed dates on the release task, starts sept 15, ends oct 15
[21:42:16] <alex_joni> ok, cool
[21:42:17] <jmkasunich> you can add some tasks too
[21:48:52] <jmkasunich> I wonder if we can convince jepler to work on the CL gui?
[21:49:30] <alex_joni> jmkasunich: we only need to convince him to try it out once
[21:49:47] <alex_joni> the rest is taken care by his conscience
[21:51:29] <cradek> I think you would have to send him (or me) hardware that requires CL to do something useful
[21:51:47] <alex_joni> cradek: CL can do usefull stuff without hardware ;)
[21:52:46] <cradek> I think the problem with CL is that it's just so bad it seems like you're starting with nothing
[21:52:58] <jmkasunich> the GUI you mean?
[21:53:01] <cradek> yes
[21:53:10] <cradek> I guess it does work, though, I saw you doing useful things with it
[21:53:16] <cradek> it's UGLY but it works
[21:53:34] <jmkasunich> making CL better is a non-trivial project
[21:53:39] <jmkasunich> but a worthy one IMO
[21:54:03] <cradek> so far, I'm glad he worked on halscope instead
[21:56:17] <jmkasunich> yeah
[21:56:30] <jmkasunich> I haven't really tried out all the new features
[21:56:39] <jmkasunich> saw some (the colors) while working on the pwm component
[21:56:49] <jmkasunich> btw, had a chance to try that yet?
[21:57:10] <cradek> no unfortunately
[21:58:57] <alex_joni> same here :(
[22:03:00] <jmkasunich> I think the sample configs (all configs really) should use only a single HAL file
[22:03:20] <jmkasunich> no more ppmc-io.hal, ppmc-motion.hal ppmc-servo.hal, etc, etc
[22:05:28] <jmkasunich> http://sourceforge.net/pm/task.php?group_project_id=46285&group_id=6744&func=browse
[22:06:29] <alex_joni> that's not too bad..
[22:06:32] <alex_joni> only 3 in there ;)
[22:06:55] <alex_joni> assigned to me I mean :D
[22:46:43] <SWP_Away> SWP_Away is now known as SWPadnos
[23:42:06] <alex_joni> cradek: maybe we should package a symlink emc2 to emc ;)
[23:42:26] <alex_joni> seems it's rather usual with libs, not bins