#emc-devel | Logs for 2006-05-18

[03:41:54] <jepler> alex_joni: axis now shows "G51" after being rebuilt
[03:42:12] <jepler> apparently setup.py is too dumb to look at header-file dependencies, so it does some pretty weird stuff until you "rm -rf build" manually
[03:42:20] <jepler> * jepler curses python
[03:45:22] <jepler> "As of 2006-05-17 a disk on the CVS server that hosts developer projects starting with the letters g, i and k and anonymous pserver projects starting with a and p has failed"
[03:47:08] <jepler> -- sourceforge
[03:47:15] <jepler> http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=2352&group_id=1#1147874433
[03:51:31] <jepler> Committer: jmkasunich <jmkasunich> 2006-05-17 03:18:33
[03:51:39] <jepler> this group of commits is what broke blending
[03:51:46] <jepler> but I think we already knew this
[03:52:14] <jmkasunich> thanks
[03:53:43] <jepler> if the planner does think the velocity of the next segment is 0 then the "begin blend when we're going slower than the next segment's top speed" will never fire during the decel ramp
[03:53:59] <jepler> you said something about storing 0 for the next segment
[03:54:13] <jepler> - tc.feed_override = tp->vScale;
[03:54:13] <jepler> + tc.feed_override = 0.0;
[03:56:07] <jepler> or is it this?
[03:56:07] <jepler> + /* handle pausing */
[03:56:18] <jepler> nah, that makes no sense, because you're not pausing
[06:20:10] <alex_joni> morning guys
[06:20:13] <alex_joni> still around?
[06:39:31] <cradek> hi
[06:39:37] <cradek> the mazak is moving again!
[06:41:24] <alex_joni> that was fast
[06:41:40] <alex_joni> did te G50/51 work out ok?
[06:41:44] <alex_joni> s/te/the/
[06:41:50] <cradek> I was just going to look at that
[06:42:03] <alex_joni> ok.. say if anything is still screwy.. I think not
[06:42:16] <cradek> ok, compiling now
[06:44:56] <cradek> yay it accepts them
[06:45:27] <alex_joni> cool.. and it should show them as active_gcodes
[06:45:33] <alex_joni> jepler even tested on AXIS
[06:46:04] <cradek> I don't see that...
[06:46:19] <alex_joni> using AXIS?
[06:46:22] <cradek> yes
[06:46:24] <alex_joni> maybe you don't have the latest?
[06:46:34] <alex_joni> er.. jepler said you need to rebuild
[06:46:36] <cradek> thought I just updated, let me check
[06:46:39] <alex_joni> and remove the build dir
[06:46:54] <alex_joni> because pythin can't figure out that deps changed, or something like that
[06:47:06] <cradek> python distutils sucks so bad
[06:47:08] <alex_joni> < jepler> apparently setup.py is too dumb to look at header-file
[06:47:08] <alex_joni> dependencies, so it does some pretty weird stuff until you "rm
[06:47:11] <alex_joni> -rf build" manually
[06:47:14] <alex_joni> 06:46 * jepler curses python
[06:52:19] <cradek> aha, it's there now, I don't know if I did something or if I just wasn't seeing it
[06:52:27] <cradek> thanks alex, this is great, the edm guy here will be very happy
[07:00:57] <fenn-fest> hah the edm guy would be happy if his motion control wasnt toasty
[07:24:16] <alex_joni> fenn-fest: got there already?
[13:43:52] <skunkworks> talked to him a bit last night
[13:44:10] <skunkworks> he said the trip was uneventful
[14:35:06] <jepler> if the next segment has a triangular velocity profile, is the "start blending" condition still correct?
[19:08:36] <alex_joni> hi guys
[19:08:40] <alex_joni> anyone around?
[19:13:56] <jmkasunich> yeah
[19:16:32] <alex_joni> hi jmk
[19:16:57] <alex_joni> jepler said something about a board meeting beeing planned?
[19:17:14] <jmkasunich> I don't know when (or if)
[19:17:23] <alex_joni> ok.. no problem
[19:17:28] <alex_joni> how is everything over there?
[19:18:06] <jmkasunich> busy
[19:18:24] <jmkasunich> we powered up the mazak last night
[19:18:33] <jmkasunich> x,y,z and spindle work pretty well
[19:18:39] <alex_joni> yeah, I saw some messages about that.. nice to hear that
[19:18:59] <alex_joni> anything you want me working on?
[19:21:18] <jmkasunich> are you good at gtk? ;-)
[19:21:34] <jmkasunich> I'm trying to get vcp to work, so we can use it while working on the mazak
[19:26:12] <alex_joni> I'm just struggling with my own gtk program
[19:26:20] <jmkasunich> ;-)
[19:26:25] <alex_joni> I really suck at it ;) been fighting glade for the last few days
[19:26:32] <alex_joni> and we don't agree at all :D
[19:26:32] <jmkasunich> enjoy, I'll keep going here
[19:27:59] <alex_joni> ok, say if you need anything
[19:35:46] <alex_joni> hey SWPadnos
[19:36:33] <SWPadnos> hi Alex
[19:46:16] <bigAl> alex_joni, I see you two are making progress
[21:34:44] <cradek> alex_joni: are you around? we've got another thing you could look at
[21:38:47] <bigAl> cradek, When is the best time to catch you all together ?
[21:38:56] <cradek> who all?
[21:39:25] <bigAl> the developers involved.
[21:39:53] <cradek> about what? we're very busy right now
[21:42:15] <bigAl> need to talk about problems in communications and try to resolve some of your problems.
[21:43:32] <cradek> we're really just fine, thanks; I don't understand who you are or why you want to be in some kind of arbitration position. maybe it would help me understand what's going on if you would explain that a bit.
[21:46:17] <bigAl> You have over 50 developers on your list, yet only a small handfull do any work. There appears to be a rift between some very useful guys, each with their own set of skills.
[21:46:55] <bigAl> failing to maximize the resources you guys have is criminal.
[21:48:01] <cradek> I suppose you are talking about Paul, if he wants to come back and talk to us, we're a pretty accepting bunch. If he wants to stay off on his own, that's up to him and I suggest you not waste your time worrying about it (because we don't).
[21:49:46] <cradek> I think Paul is a smart guy and his BDI is fine, but his attitude toward the rest of the group and his will to cooperate changed abruptly a while back, and now he's doing his own thing, which is fine. He used to be a useful member of the group, but now he's doing something else, which is up to him.
[21:50:44] <bigAl> That is one person, yes. Others include Keith Rumley and Ebo
[21:51:41] <bigAl> along with 30 or more supposedly on your team.
[21:51:43] <cradek> sometimes people move on, that's the nature of cooperative open source projects
[21:52:20] <bigAl> Yet you appear to make little attempt in involving the rest of them.
[21:52:56] <jmkasunich> the 50 developers is a deceptive issue - when at sourceforge, the anon checkouts lagged behind developer checkouts by anywhere from 5 to 24 hours - at times we gave developer access to someone who had reported a bug so they could quickly check out and test the bugfix
[21:53:19] <jmkasunich> they never committed anything, and never had any intention of committing anything, they were beta users/testers, not developers
[21:53:38] <cradek> hi jmk
[21:53:44] <jmkasunich> now that we have our own cvs server, anon access is instantanous, and that is no longer a factor
[21:54:39] <bigAl> OK. what abou all the subscribers to the developers mailing list. Do you exclude them from participation ?
[21:54:51] <jmkasunich> we don't exclude anyone
[21:55:28] <jmkasunich> again, many folks who subscribe do so because they want to talk to developers, not because they are developers
[21:55:59] <cradek> anyone of those subscribers can post to the mailing lists; we appreciate their input and never censor anything. I'm not sure what you mean by 'exclude'.
[21:55:59] <bigAl> but that is exactly what you are doing by not discussing issues on the mailing list
[21:56:17] <jmkasunich> many subscribers to that list do very valuable testing and submit bug reports and feature requests, even tho they have no intention (or ability) to write code
[21:56:30] <cradek> the fact that you're here talking to us shows that anyone can talk to us anytime, even when anonymous.
[21:57:00] <cradek> are you even subscribed to the lists bigAl?
[21:57:17] <bigAl> But I had to hunt you guys down, and others may not use IRC.
[21:57:30] <jepler> "hunt"?
[21:57:44] <cradek> are you even subscribed to the lists bigAl?
[21:58:29] <bigAl> No, I had been reading the archives trying to get a picture of how you work.
[21:58:49] <jepler> bigAl: http://linuxcnc.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4&Itemid=8&lang=en
[21:59:00] <jepler> bigAl: (the "Contact Us" link on the front page of linuxcnc.org)
[21:59:10] <jepler> if this is hard to understand, please let me know.
[21:59:56] <jepler> bigAl: in light of the "Contact Us" page, I don't understand what you mean when you said you had to "hunt us guys down"
[22:01:24] <bigAl> In contacting "us", do I use #emc, #emc-devel, emc-users, emc-developers, or emc-board
[22:01:38] <bigAl> Too many points of contact.
[22:01:40] <jmkasunich> depends on what you want to talk about
[22:02:15] <jepler> bigAl: Do you view yourself as a possible user of emc2, a developer, or do you wish to contact the board?
[22:02:20] <SWPadnos> bigAl: use any one you like, and people will direct you to another if the veue you shoose is inappropriate
[22:02:24] <SWPadnos> venue
[22:02:25] <jmkasunich> the most active developers are subscribed to both users and dev lists, and lurk in both irc channels
[22:02:35] <jepler> bigAl: that cuts it down to 1 or 2 choices. Then pick the one you prefer (IRC or mailing list)
[22:04:09] <bigAl> OK. I want to work on a ppc port, but I don't have 24/7 for IRC.
[22:04:19] <jepler> it sounds like the mailing list is the right choice for you.
[22:04:38] <bigAl> from what I have seen of the mailing lists, there is little activity
[22:04:44] <jmkasunich> what?
[22:04:53] <jepler> do you want me to walk you through the instructions to subscribe to the emc-developers mailing list?
[22:04:57] <bigAl> and what little there is seems to be flamewars
[22:06:17] <cradek> bigAl: sorry, I think that's just not true.
[22:06:19] <SWPadnos> hmm - I'm trying to remember the last flamewar on the lists
[22:06:26] <SWPadnos> oh well
[22:08:38] <bigAl> Can I make a suggestion then
[22:08:54] <jepler> what's that?
[22:09:44] <jmkasunich> "bigAl (n=bigAl@tor/session/external/x-fddc07d91e7a11e5) has joined #emc-devel" isn't Tor an anonymizer? Seems we are easier to contact than you.
[22:10:05] <bigAl> Once a week, one of you guys write an email to the list outlining some of the development issues discussed here.
[22:10:46] <jmkasunich> logger_aj: bookmark
[22:10:57] <jmkasunich> logger_devel: bookmark
[22:10:57] <jmkasunich> See
[22:10:58] <bigAl> You might even get some of the inactive subscribers involved in coding.
[22:11:37] <jmkasunich> you are suggesting that we have a secretary to publicize things that are discussed on IRC for the benefit of those not there at the time
[22:11:44] <jmkasunich> that would be usefull
[22:11:59] <jepler> we need a .. volunteer
[22:12:03] <jmkasunich> the logs are publically available (see bookmark), so anyone could do it
[22:13:44] <bigAl> IF they knew where to find the logs.
[22:13:53] <jmkasunich> logger_devel: bookmark
[22:13:53] <jmkasunich> See
[22:13:56] <jmkasunich> theres the log
[22:14:06] <jepler> (there are also archives) -- the "contact us" page
[22:14:15] <jepler> * jepler makes sure the link is right
[22:14:18] <cradek> bigAl, are you volunteering? I think that would be great.
[22:14:24] <jepler> oh, sorry, that's the list link
[22:14:32] <jepler> you're right, it would be a good idea to add the irc log links to that page
[22:15:22] <bigAl> thank you.
[22:17:41] <jepler> any other suggestions on how to clarify that page, while I'm editing it?
[22:20:54] <bigAl> Make it clear which are IRC logs and mail archives.
[22:21:34] <jepler> ok
[22:21:52] <jepler> "The other preferred way to contact us, is on IRC (channel #emc-devel on irc.freenode.net), (either use your own client and information how to use the network, or try our embedded java client ). There is also an archive of the discussions that take place on #emc-devel."
[22:26:28] <jepler> afk
[23:55:36] <bigAl> One more question before I go
[23:58:35] <bigAl> nm