#emc | Logs for 2010-12-14

[00:01:03] <andypugh> Where are you in the world? There are a few people with lathes on here.
[00:01:11] <Connor> US
[00:01:57] <JT-Shop> Connor: if you have angular contact bearings they only go in one way /\ or \/ depending on design
[00:02:50] <Connor> I'm not sure.. The had balls in them.. and a Lip on one side that looked like the balls touched...
[00:03:39] <Connor> I put them lip to lip. but, that's not the problem.. the bigger problem is the coller isn't long enough to push the lock nut away from the face of the seal.. and it binds it up.
[00:03:40] <andypugh> There are two lips.
[00:04:05] <theorb> theorb is now known as theorbtwo
[00:04:45] <Connor> I could see more on one side than the other..
[00:04:54] <Connor> the bigger lips went face to face..
[00:05:21] <andypugh> How are the outer races retained?
[00:05:46] <andypugh> That SKF link I posted earlier sort of explains it
[00:07:00] <Connor> I bet these are just normal bearings.. I got the screws from china via ebay
[00:08:45] <andypugh> the "AC" part probably means Angular Contact. They cost just about the same as conventional bearings, to no reason to expect to be given the wrong thing.
[00:09:20] <Connor> okay, well.. from what I could tell, one end had more visable gap than the other.
[00:09:59] <andypugh> The thing is, whether they go back-to-back or face-to-face rather depends on the housing design.
[00:10:20] <Connor> let me look at them again..
[00:12:58] <Connor> okay, so.. looking from the back.. I see a grove that the ball rides in.. looks rounded, and the other side is what has the lip
[00:14:22] <andypugh> Does this picture help? http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Angular-contact-ball-bearing_single-row_din628_type-b_120.png
[00:15:15] <andypugh> The question of how the outer races are located still remains.
[00:19:23] <andypugh> Anyway, time I logged
[00:23:59] <Connor> Okay, cable internet went down, swtiched to DSL backup
[00:27:38] <leo__> what is hal expecting in spindle configuration for a dac pin name using a mesa 5i20/ 7133ta
[00:43:48] <Connor> http://www.ivdc.com/cnc/ballscrew/3.jpg
[00:43:53] <Connor> http://www.ivdc.com/cnc/ballscrew/2.jpg
[00:44:00] <Connor> http://www.ivdc.com/cnc/ballscrew/1.jpg
[00:48:34] <Connor> Those collers are 12.10~12.20mm ID 14.25~14.30mm od.
[00:49:03] <Connor> and around 6.4mm tall..
[00:49:12] <Connor> could use another 2mm
[00:49:43] <JT-Shop> whew got them parts done
[00:49:48] <JT-Shop> damm it is cold out
[00:50:06] <Connor> and the bearings could probably use a shim between them.. a few .001"
[00:50:36] <JT-Shop> you can get shim washers at McMaster Carr
[00:51:04] <Connor> That doesn't help me with my collier/bushing issue..
[00:51:26] <JT-Shop> Connor: did it work before you took it apart?
[00:51:29] <Connor> I need them to be a bit longer so the jam nut doesn't contact the face of the seal.
[00:52:01] <JT-Shop> leo__: for pwm or something like that?
[00:52:32] <Connor> yes/no. It had a little play.. but, I used the coupler (which is a helix design) to put pressure on it to keep it snugg.. but, I guess that didn't work very good.
[00:52:35] <JT-Shop> for the names do a dmesg after running your setup
[00:52:59] <JT-Shop> so your modifying the design to remove some play?
[00:53:57] <Connor> well.. I was having issues with my holes I milled coming out wrong.. then noticed my X axis skipping.. I cleaned it up and lubed it.. but.. still had play which could be causing stuff to go wrong.
[00:54:10] <JT-Shop> Connor: your bearing photo clearly shows the angular contact direction
[00:55:03] <Connor> which way thn.. the one on the right.. I call that the face.. and I put them face to face.
[00:56:18] <JT-Shop> the one on the right if you put the same faces together then the contact goes from inner race to outer race outer race to inner race on second bearing
[00:56:54] <Connor> okay, which way is correct?
[00:57:39] <JT-Shop> so if they are a matched pair you should be able to tighten up the shaft nut without any binding if you put the HR8 to HR8
[00:58:41] <JT-Shop> Connor: where are you located?
[00:58:46] <Connor> US
[00:58:52] <Connor> Knoxville, TN
[00:59:03] <JT-Shop> Swamp East Missouri here
[01:00:08] <Connor> I did a test.. I used both colliers on the side with the jam nut, kept the seal thats tword the screw out.. and tightened it all up..
[01:01:03] <JT-Shop> the collar goes in the seal?
[01:01:09] <Connor> yes
[01:01:38] <JT-Shop> so if you leave the seal off and assemble it is ok?
[01:01:49] <leo__> in terminal, how do I get to the halcmd prompt?
[01:02:28] <Connor> I can't leave the seal out that's causing the issue, cause it's part of the side that screws into the mounting block. look at picture 1
[01:02:41] <JT-Shop> leo__: http://www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/hal_tutorial.html#sec:Tutorial%20-%20Simple%20Example
[01:02:57] <JT-Shop> for testing only...
[01:03:25] <Connor> So, by removing the other one, and using bother colliers on the out side for the jam nut...
[01:03:59] <Connor> It's a bit stiff, but not bad.. I can turn the screw with my thumbs
[01:05:13] <JT-Shop> so the bearings are ok but the seal is rubbing on something?
[01:05:18] <Connor> Now.. going to see if I can measure the backlash from the slop in the bearings and mounting block..
[01:05:38] <Connor> yea, the jam nut rubes the outside seal.
[01:05:48] <Connor> thus, I can't lock it down very tight..
[01:06:10] <JT-Shop> so has the collar been squished a bit and you need a longer one?
[01:06:56] <Connor> It doesn't look like it's squished, I think the china machine shop turned the shoulder back a few mm to many.
[01:07:25] <JT-Shop> that is a problem with things from china not too good quality
[01:08:05] <JT-Shop> on the shaft?
[01:08:30] <Connor> yea
[01:09:09] <JT-Shop> can you hand fit a shim washer on the shaft to fix it?
[01:09:52] <Connor> probably to take out the slop.. but, that's not going to fix the issue with the collier being to short.
[01:10:46] <JT-Shop> can you shim the collar too?
[01:11:16] <Connor> okay, .024" movement back and forth.
[01:11:26] <JT-Shop> ouch!
[01:12:13] <JT-Shop> * JT-Shop hears Momma ringing the dinner bell here
[01:12:27] <JT-Shop> come on over and after dinner we can fix it
[01:12:28] <Connor> clamped the mounting block to my desk. clamped a digital caliber to the desk.. and pushed the screw back and forth..
[01:13:11] <JT-Shop> a little shim stock and a dremel and you can fix that
[01:13:37] <JT-Shop> gotta run or someone will call me "late for dinner"
[01:13:45] <Connor> but, I need a way to make the collier.. I'll have to look for something that can be used.
[01:13:54] <Connor> yea. had that happen to me already tonight.
[01:14:05] <JT-Shop> I'll be back in a bit
[02:06:30] <dimas> where is a broken link from this page http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?Touch_Probe
[02:06:49] <dimas> to this one - http://www.industrialhobbies.com/howto/tips/touch_probe.htm
[02:08:19] <SWPadnos> bummer. looks like they got rid of that page
[02:08:33] <SWPadnos> (and they don't list a touch probe in their products either)
[02:26:41] <leo__> on a mesa 7i37ta, outputs....you guys running them as sinking or sourcing?
[02:35:33] <leo__> how do I force an output on a 7137ta/5i20 mesa combo?
[02:36:02] <leo__> to verify where I am hardwiring
[02:36:50] <leo__> padnos u there?
[02:39:17] <leo__> why if I put this line in my halfile does it not show making an output?
[02:39:19] <leo__> net pyvcp.tcon => hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).1.gpio.071.out
[02:39:42] <SWPadnos> I'm here
[02:39:50] <SWPadnos> you have to set the pin to output mode
[02:40:12] <SWPadnos> like setp hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).1.gpio.071.is_output 1
[02:40:14] <SWPadnos> or similar
[02:41:06] <SWPadnos> presumably pyvcp.tcon is a control of some sort on a pyvcp panel
[02:41:35] <leo__> its a momentary button in axis
[02:41:59] <leo__> and where do I put that line? in my halfile?
[02:42:15] <SWPadnos> yes, if you always want that pin to be an output
[02:43:26] <leo__> I can see the pyvcp.tcon pin flash in show hal
[02:43:48] <SWPadnos> you do need a name for the net as well
[02:43:58] <SWPadnos> net testbit pyvcp.tcon => hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).1.gpio.071.out
[02:44:50] <leo__> setp hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).1.gpio.071.is_output 1
[02:44:50] <leo__> net pyvcp.tcon => hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).1.gpio.071.out
[02:44:54] <leo__> does not work
[02:45:04] <leo__> still see the button flash but no output
[02:45:13] <SWPadnos> do you get an error on the "net" line?
[02:45:17] <leo__> no
[02:45:29] <SWPadnos> huh. you should, because you need a signal name
[02:46:40] <leo__> the python button in the pyvcp pin section is flashing when I press the button
[02:46:51] <leo__> the pyvcp.tcon signal is not flashing
[02:47:36] <leo__> so that tells me I don't have somthing right in python stuff right?
[02:48:01] <leo__> is there an easier way to force an output to tell where to connect halpins to the correct hardwires?
[02:48:12] <SWPadnos> it tells me that the name of the pin for the button isn't pyvcp.tcon
[02:48:34] <SWPadnos> so the net command created a net called pyvcp.tcon, and connected it to the HM2 GPIO (only)
[02:53:19] <leo__> i changed the pyvcp.hal file to:
[02:53:20] <leo__> setp hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).1.gpio.071.is_output 1
[02:53:20] <leo__> net pyvcp.tcon => hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).1.gpio.071.out
[02:53:30] <leo__> and now I show the output flash
[02:54:05] <SWPadnos> great
[02:54:59] <leo__> is there supposed to be an led or something?
[02:55:18] <leo__> or do I need 4 hands to check with a voltmeter?
[02:55:22] <SWPadnos> not on the 7i37
[02:55:25] <SWPadnos> heh
[02:55:31] <SWPadnos> you could hook up a light or something
[02:56:11] <SWPadnos> there is the 7i30 (or 7i31?) board, which has LEDs for all the I/O pins. it's a feed-through, so you connect the daughtercard to it as well
[02:56:49] <SWPadnos> it's about $35, so a reasonable investment for debugging
[02:56:52] <SWPadnos> ah, the 7i31
[02:57:03] <leo__> it was nice meeting you in wichita too
[02:59:37] <SWPadnos> yep. a fun time (other than all the smoke :) )
[03:17:25] <leo__> ok it went to shit
[03:17:43] <leo__> telling me I can't have a poin and signal by the same name
[03:23:17] <SWPadnos> correct
[03:23:46] <SWPadnos> net my_signal_name pyvcp.tcon => hm2_[HOSTMOT2](BOARD).1.gpio.071.out
[03:24:50] <SWPadnos> that line has to go in the hal file that gets loaded after pyvcp has loaded, not the one where hostmot2 is loaded
[03:25:05] <SWPadnos> (pyvcp.hal, from what you said earlier)
[03:35:55] <leo__> ok its back but I still don't quite understand the difference between signals and pins
[03:40:48] <leo__> this is pissing me off... I can see inputs, can see encoder counts but outputs I can't find to save my frickin life'
[03:41:09] <leo__> there has to an easier way to find these %$#& things
[03:41:37] <leo__> I have all the inx- hoooked to a terminal strip at ground
[03:41:58] <leo__> tried running continuity meter across all terminals
[03:42:04] <leo__> and only grounds ring
[03:43:08] <leo__> the show hal shows the led flash in halpin on the 5i20
[03:43:49] <leo__> or does that mean emc sees it but not neccesarily drives it to the card?
[04:55:42] <dimas_> dimas_ is now known as 77CAAH103
[05:15:26] <Connor> anyone here live close to Tennessee?
[05:43:05] <juri_> wanted: one victim, for axe murdering. must be within driving distance of my home in tennessee.
[05:45:50] <Connor> rofl.
[05:46:31] <Connor> getting frustrated.. Don't have the right tool to make the parts to take the backlash out.. or to fix the friction issue with the lock nut rubbing on the rubber seal.
[05:47:44] <Connor> anyone know of a place to get bearing spacers and colliers at?
[05:51:03] <Connor> The ID is 12mm, od would be around 14 for the collier style..
[06:58:55] <Alan78> hi
[06:58:55] <the_wench> hello Alan78, you have a question?
[09:00:01] <davec> davec is now known as Guest17494
[09:49:55] <mhaberler__> mhaberler__ is now known as mhaberler_
[10:46:40] <X704> X704 is now known as WalterN
[10:57:35] <a3986> hi
[10:57:35] <the_wench> hello a3986, you have a question?
[10:58:03] <a3986> does anyone here use the a3986
[10:58:06] <a3986> ?
[11:50:57] <mhaberler__> mhaberler__ is now known as mhaberler_
[13:50:40] <ries_> ries_ is now known as ries
[14:38:28] <ChanServ> [#emc] "This is the #emc channel - talk related to the Enhanced Machine Controller and general machining. Website: http://www.linuxcnc.org/, wiki at http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/"
[14:38:45] <psha> hello logger_emc, you have a question?
[14:54:10] <cradek> haha
[14:57:18] <SWPadnos> logger_emc, what is a grue?
[14:57:18] <SWPadnos> I'm logging. Sorry, searching removed.
[15:34:45] <Tech_Talk> Tech_Talk is now known as Birdman3131
[15:59:01] <ries_> ries_ is now known as ries
[17:52:09] <SWPadnos> now this is funny
[17:52:26] <Jymmm> SWPadnos: you in a tootoo?
[17:52:38] <SWPadnos> I said funny, not scary
[17:52:42] <Jymmm> Now, THAT would be funny!
[17:52:49] <Jymmm> and scarry too =)
[17:53:00] <SWPadnos> I'm outside clearing the driveway, and a news crew shows up and asks to film me
[17:53:20] <SWPadnos> so that's fine with me. they wanted a piece about the snow and how it impacts people and all that jazz
[17:53:38] <Jymmm> SWPadnos: Dont Eat Yellow Snow?
[17:53:41] <SWPadnos> the funny part is that I work at home, so the snow basically doesn't affect me
[17:53:49] <Jymmm> slow news day huh?
[17:54:00] <SWPadnos> (though it is nice for me to clear the driveway so my wife can get back home)
[17:54:04] <SWPadnos> might be
[17:54:24] <SWPadnos> strange weather though. we had around a foot of snow on the ground Saturday and Sunday
[17:54:34] <Jymmm> too little?
[17:54:56] <SWPadnos> Sunday it starts snowing in the middle of the day, which then turned to rain as the temperature got into the mid-50's
[17:55:05] <Jymmm> ah
[17:55:16] <SWPadnos> kept raining through mid-day yesterday, then turned back to snow, and it's about 10-15 degrees now
[17:55:34] <SWPadnos> same storm = snow, rain, ice, snow again
[17:56:05] <SWPadnos> and apparently we're supposed to get another few inches tomorrow or the next day, and then a nor-easter blizzard over the weekend
[17:56:25] <SWPadnos> (when we'll be safely in Orlando, unless the weather arrives before our flight leaves :) )
[18:03:19] <rizo> I would like to understand how EMC works. To what part of emc axis communicate with? For instance what happens when i press the Home Button, or when i execute "G1 X100 Y100" code?
[18:03:33] <jthornton> I picked up a few tons of chat Friday with my trailer and thought I'd shovel some on some on the driveway... not! it is frozen solid...
[18:04:56] <psha> rizo: it's issues NML commands to other parts of emc
[18:06:25] <rizo> can i start emc without the gui and manually enter those NML command?
[18:06:53] <SWPadnos> rizo, I don't think there's a way to do that now
[18:07:27] <SWPadnos> you could write a command-line interface that lets a user enter commands that cause NML messages to be sent
[18:07:36] <psha> SWPadnos: why not? load halui and don't load gui
[18:07:50] <psha> only thing it's missing - execution particular commands, only predefined ones
[18:07:55] <SWPadnos> that doesn't let you enter arbitrary commands
[18:07:57] <SWPadnos> right
[18:08:19] <psha> but even without it - run ipython, import emc and here it is - interactive EMC shell ;)
[18:08:31] <SWPadnos> that's kind of true :)
[18:08:49] <psha> not very interactive though... command waiting is not good
[18:09:04] <jthornton> if I do a "make install-menus" on a machine with EMC installed from the LiveCD will it overwrite the menus or add the 2.5 menus?
[18:09:10] <psha> bbl, have to write gladevcp announce to the list...
[18:11:31] <Jymmm> yahoo is gonna lay off 700 this week...
[18:11:34] <Jymmm> Merry Fscking Christmas from !Yahoo
[18:11:38] <Jymmm> http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-20025564-93.html
[18:18:11] <TekniQue_> TekniQue_ is now known as TekniQue
[18:33:28] <mhaberler_> mhaberler_ is now known as mhaberler
[18:53:54] <Connor> Anyone know where to get bearing spacers and shims? Looking for spacers with min ID of 12mm OD around 14mm lenght 7-9mm
[18:54:07] <Connor> and shims too.. .023"
[19:29:51] <JT-Shop> Connor: I get my shim washers from McMaster Carr
[19:30:00] <Connor> http://www.ivdc.com/cnc/ballscrew/1.jpg
[19:30:26] <Connor> part in the middle.. loos to be 1/4" in length.. need it a few mm longer..
[19:31:39] <Connor> 9/16" od. and .480" ID (31/64 I guess ??
[19:32:44] <JT-Shop> probably some metric dimension
[19:32:59] <Connor> 12.19mm
[19:33:54] <JT-Shop> should it be the same ID as the bearing?
[19:34:25] <Connor> ID of bearing is 12mm
[19:34:33] <Connor> it's just a spacer.. it can be a little sloppy.
[19:34:48] <JT-Shop> I see
[19:35:02] <Connor> 9/16 OD x ~12mmID X .25" length is the current.. i need it longer..
[19:35:53] <JT-Shop> know anyone with a lathe?
[19:36:29] <Connor> not locally..
[19:36:49] <JT-Shop> is it hardened or just steel that you can cut with a file
[19:37:14] <Connor> I dunno.
[19:37:33] <Connor> It's black. that's all I can tell you. :)
[19:37:43] <JT-Shop> hardened steel will sing when you draw a file across it and will not leave a divot from the file.
[19:38:02] <JT-Shop> just take the edge of a file and see what it is
[19:39:18] <Connor> File looks to have made a small mark.
[19:39:25] <Connor> took the black off too..
[19:39:40] <JT-Shop> just regular steel I'd bet then
[19:40:05] <Connor> anodized probably.
[19:40:24] <JT-Shop> you think it is aluminum?
[19:40:38] <Connor> no.
[19:40:49] <Connor> It's magnetic.
[19:40:57] <JT-Shop> then it is not anodized, blackened maybe
[19:41:10] <Connor> that's what I meant
[19:42:07] <psha> grommit: hi
[19:42:15] <grommit> hi
[19:42:15] <the_wench> hello grommit, you have a question?
[19:42:30] <grommit> it's been a while
[19:42:39] <grommit> I have been working on another project.
[19:42:54] <grommit> I am going to demo your video stuff tonight at a local tech meeting :-)
[19:43:13] <grommit> Are there new updates?
[19:43:32] <Connor> I can get 7/16 ID x 9/16 OD x .375 length in stainless.
[19:43:58] <Connor> but, 7/16 is a little on the thin side.. needs to be 12mm or better
[19:44:16] <psha> grommit: yes, parallel lines as addition to circle crosshair
[19:44:20] <psha> adjustable angle, etc
[19:44:38] <psha> Bonny (eslavko) was working on center finding via GCode
[19:44:43] <grommit> I saw the parallel lines. I guess that means I have the latest?
[19:44:46] <psha> Gladevcp widgets at camview
[19:44:53] <psha> i think that's all :)
[19:45:14] <grommit> It is working nicely. Center finding eh? That sound great.
[19:45:49] <psha> it's documented on forum in webcam thread
[19:46:10] <psha> i personaly don't like that solution but at that time it was only possible one :)
[19:46:16] <JT-Shop> 7/16 ID is too small to fit your shaft?
[19:46:18] <grommit> I'll take a look there. I haven't been on the forum for a while....
[19:46:20] <psha> now it's possible to do it in python and not in gcode
[19:46:34] <psha> which will reduce code significantly :)
[19:46:41] <grommit> The python to gcode thing I have seen mentioned recently?
[19:46:45] <psha> no
[19:47:10] <psha> mhaberler added ability to hook python functions to any gladevcp widget (including standard gtk ones)
[19:47:25] <psha> so you don't need writing files etc...
[19:47:47] <psha> but this feature was landede to master only today :)
[19:48:02] <psha> so _now_ it possible to do it in python
[19:48:05] <grommit> i see
[19:48:53] <psha> with some eye candiness like displaying recorded values ;)
[19:49:15] <psha> but besides that last change on camview fron was 2 weeks ago )
[19:49:42] <grommit> So, will I get recording if I update?
[19:50:01] <grommit> Sorry, recoded values (not recording)
[19:50:07] <grommit> recorded...
[19:50:23] <psha> no :) but if you need centering and wish to test it - why not ;)
[19:50:32] <psha> i don't think it will be hard )
[19:50:35] <JT-Shop> I have a 31/64" bit but no 12 mm bit
[19:51:40] <atmega> Conner: are you in K-ville?
[19:52:56] <grommit> I don't see an update on my update manager app, I thought I was getting updates there....
[19:53:55] <psha> last version was 0.0.35
[19:54:40] <JT-Shop> Connor: if you can live with a drilled ID of 31/64" I can make you one...
[19:56:36] <Connor> I don't think it needs to be that exact..that would work.
[19:59:13] <JT-Shop> 9/16" OD and what lenght?
[20:00:27] <Connor> currently length is .25" needs to be longer though..That's the problem.
[20:02:05] <Connor> taking a messurement
[20:03:00] <psha> grommit: if you'll going to show it to somebody don't forget to collect feedback :)
[20:03:07] <psha> what's wrong and what's missing
[20:03:51] <Connor> probably a extra .1 to .2"
[20:04:08] <Connor> more is better than less.. I have enough room.
[20:04:41] <JT-Shop> so how long do you want it?
[20:06:17] <Connor> Call it .375"
[20:07:10] <JT-Shop> ok 9/16 OD, 31/64 ID, 3/8 long :)
[20:07:54] <Connor> yup.. I need at least 3.. (All 3 ball screws are like this)
[20:08:51] <JT-Shop> I only have one air hose so you'll have to wait till I'm done on the mill
[20:10:51] <grommit> psha, will send any feedback to you....
[20:11:16] <grommit> psha: where can I quickly find the version num?
[20:11:45] <psha> dpkg -l camview-emc
[20:12:37] <grommit> so yes, I do have 0.0.35
[20:15:45] <Connor> JT-Shop: ROFL
[20:16:31] <Connor> I just thought of something.. by shimming between the bearings, that'll gem me a little more space too.
[20:16:39] <Connor> question is.. how much..
[20:18:02] <andypugh> Should be "not much"
[20:18:15] <archivist> the right much
[20:18:50] <andypugh> A matched pair of bearings would give you the correct preload with no shims between either face. But those cost real money.
[20:19:25] <Connor> well, their is about .023" slop in the bearing block. were the bearings can shift.
[20:20:08] <archivist> if they are a mathed pair and you have dirt in them, they will bind
[20:20:15] <archivist> matched
[20:20:26] <andypugh> Sounds like somebody misunderstood housing design.
[20:20:41] <JT-Shop> slop on the OD of the bearings?
[20:21:10] <Connor> No. in the block.
[20:21:17] <Connor> back and forth movement.
[20:21:41] <JT-Shop> Connor: don't forget to pm me your address, unless you plan on coming over this evening for a beer and pick them up :)
[20:21:59] <Connor> hehe
[20:22:22] <andypugh> .023 sounds like you could make a nice wire wave-washer to take up the slack.
[20:22:55] <Connor> Hmm. You mean like standard copper wire ?
[20:23:06] <psha> grommit: so you have last version... i was working on gladevcp for last two weeks
[20:23:14] <andypugh> Well, that would work, but I was thinking of piano wire.
[20:23:37] <Connor> Hmm.. let me see what I have..
[20:25:19] <Connor> I have some .02" wire.. lets see how that does..
[20:27:43] <morficmobile> pcw_home: are you around?
[20:27:52] <andypugh> Something along the lines of the wave-rings here: http://www.smalley.com/retaining_rings/about_retaining_rings.asp
[20:28:18] <morficmobile> hm, idle 2 hours, 9 minutes, would be my luck :)
[20:34:25] <andypugh> I am trying to work out why Mesa put a "Customs value" on the 7i64 card which is twice the list price. This means I have a bill for £53 ($80) for import duty.
[20:35:05] <andypugh> This "Free" software is costing me money!
[20:36:41] <Connor> FYI, for those who care, I'm a web developer & designer..
[20:39:42] <atmega> I lived in knoxville for way too many years.
[20:42:43] <Connor> Eh?
[20:48:01] <JT-Shop> oh good I can send you my recipe database and you can fix the broken part :)
[20:48:48] <SWPLinux> Connor: do you think you could fix this? http://www.thothsystems.com/
[20:48:50] <SWPLinux> :)
[20:49:06] <Connor> ROFL.
[20:49:20] <Jymmm> SWPLinux: rm -rf *
[20:49:30] <Jymmm> SWPLinux: rm -rf /*
[20:50:16] <Connor> We can design you a site yes. :)
[20:50:29] <Connor> even have someone who can interview you to get info out of you.
[20:50:34] <Jymmm> Connor: Will it have bunnys?
[20:50:35] <SWPLinux> heh
[20:50:46] <Connor> hopefully.
[20:50:48] <andypugh> I was pointed at this website by a friend recently. http://www.lingscars.com/
[20:51:10] <Connor> OMG
[20:51:25] <andypugh> After a bit of debate we decided it was actually rather well designed, in that it is easy to navigate and useable.
[20:51:36] <Connor> Someone had way too much fun playing with animated gifs
[20:51:46] <Jymmm> Yeah! Connor make SWPadnos a website like the one andypugh linked to
[20:52:47] <Jymmm> HAHAHAHAH "Note: I live inside this website Monday to Friday 9am-6pm, to give you the very best service and make your experience a happy one! - I am Ling, accept no substitutes"
[20:53:30] <SWPadnos> I decided it was "Ling scars"
[20:54:19] <Jymmm> I am Ling! You can trust me! http://www.lingscars.com/images/ling/ling_sit.jpg
[20:55:25] <JT-Shop> Connor: http://gnipsel.com/jtr/
[20:55:55] <Connor> cute
[20:58:50] <JT-Shop> mainly it is a place to keep my recipes on line but one function does not work :/
[20:59:25] <Connor> what function is that?
[21:01:42] <JT-Shop> if I add a recipe it does not save the category if I remember correctly
[21:02:01] <Connor> php and mysql ?
[21:02:04] <JT-Shop> yes
[21:02:12] <Connor> shouldn't be a big thing to fix it.
[21:03:01] <JT-Shop> yea, it is not a big php site but it has me baffled why I can't get that to work
[21:03:22] <JT-Shop> I can e-mail you the php
[21:03:37] <Connor> yea
[21:03:40] <Connor> billy@ivdc.com
[21:08:07] <SWPadnos> now you're in trouble :)
[21:08:14] <skunkworks> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e9ANZYAd9A
[21:12:07] <JT-Shop> Connor: rar or zip
[21:12:27] <atmega> can you rar non-warez?
[21:12:44] <andypugh> Technically, yes, but it is frowned upon :-)
[21:12:59] <morficmobile> what's a good source for AC reactors? yaskawa has a hard time getting some for their biggest drive :)
[21:13:07] <Connor> zip
[21:17:20] <i_tarzan> JT-Shop, lacks desert
[21:20:05] <JT-Shop> * JT-Shop don't need any desert LOL
[21:25:12] <ries_> ries_ is now known as ries
[21:25:25] <JT-Shop> Connor: sent
[21:30:12] <Connor> got it.. so, it's not saving the category ID for a new one, or edited one ? or is it category's that are not saving?
[21:32:09] <Connor> hehe. delete doesn't work.
[21:32:41] <JT-Shop> yea, there might be a few problems :)
[21:32:55] <JT-Shop> I think it was a new one
[21:33:28] <Connor> it's saving it in the backend.
[22:02:05] <ries_> ries_ is now known as ries
[22:19:11] <Connor> okay, so the .020" piano wire took out the backlash.. now to fix the issue with the jam nut..
[22:22:20] <morficmobile> pcw_home: omg, i wrote "potions" instead of "options" in the subject line *facepalm*
[22:22:51] <Valen> * Valen cuts off morficmobiles harry potter
[22:23:26] <morficmobile> ha
[22:24:13] <Valen> ever get any EMC happening at your shop?
[22:28:13] <morficmobile> buying more parts
[22:28:18] <morficmobile> mesa parts now
[22:28:25] <Valen> thats always fun
[22:28:28] <morficmobile> got yaskawa stuff under table
[22:28:33] <morficmobile> some still in japan
[22:29:40] <Valen> nifty
[22:30:15] <Valen> was thinking, why don't they make CnC lathes vertical? i mean your standard hobby size jobby turn it 90 degrees
[22:30:29] <Valen> floor space is usually at a premium
[22:30:38] <SWPadnos> they do
[22:30:48] <SWPadnos> they're called vertical lathes, and are usually very large ones
[22:30:52] <SWPadnos> (from what I've seen)
[22:31:07] <Valen> all the vertical lathes i've seen have a different aspect ratio of parts to horisontal ones
[22:31:21] <Valen> like horisontal, 700mm centers x 200mm swing
[22:31:33] <SWPadnos> well, a lot of buildings aren't 60 feet tall
[22:31:43] <Valen> the vertical ones seem to be 700 swing x 200 centers
[22:31:51] <Valen> as i said, hobby sized
[22:31:54] <SWPadnos> heh
[22:32:08] <SWPadnos> well, at that size you can more or less just stick stock in a mill
[22:32:20] <SWPadnos> (which will have the squashed aspect as you said)
[22:32:37] <Valen> 's what I mean
[22:32:54] <Valen> nobody seems to have a lathe that occupies less floor space
[22:33:15] <Valen> I spose on manual lathes its so you don't need a ladder to work the knobs when your at the other end to the chuck
[22:33:16] <SWPadnos> I guess the larger size verticals can have the stock support itself a bit, whereas for little stuff it can't
[22:33:35] <SWPadnos> and it's a heck of a lot easier to make a rigid thing that sits flat than one that stands up
[22:33:53] <Valen> assuming the floor is up to the job ;->
[22:33:57] <SWPadnos> heh
[22:34:00] <morficmobile> Valen: this week, circuit plans/planning
[22:34:09] <morficmobile> being on machine again tomorrow, as usual slow progress
[22:34:21] <Valen> morficmobile: whats the thing your converting this time?
[22:34:23] <SWPadnos> morficmobile, is there a particular software package you use for wiring diagrams?
[22:36:30] <Valen> thinking of making a PB (phenolic basalt, like epoxy granite, but cheaper) lathe, and was figuring why not make it stand on its end
[22:36:48] <Valen> thinking 300-400mm swing, 600-700 centers
[22:39:13] <morficmobile> SWPadnos: he started in inventor
[22:39:22] <morficmobile> Valen: this? still the mori seiki
[22:39:31] <SWPadnos> ok, so you more or less use AutoCAD for everything :)
[22:39:35] <morficmobile> i looked at tear down dates, 5/18/2010, time flies......
[22:39:44] <morficmobile> SWPadnos: pretty much, if it can do it
[22:39:59] <SWPadnos> drawing lines - I guess it can do it
[22:40:00] <SWPadnos> bbl
[22:40:05] <morficmobile> inventor...wiring....not sure it is a perfect match
[22:40:33] <morficmobile> pcw_home: sweet, 7I48, i guess compiling would be an option
[22:40:39] <morficmobile> oh, time to go home
[22:40:43] <morficmobile> :) bbl
[23:18:13] <Connor> okay, so, just to confirm. backlash would cause issues with circles I'm cutting to come out somewhat flat on either side ? as begins to transition from left to right, or right to left?
[23:18:54] <micges> yep
[23:19:59] <Connor> okay, so, my hole was suppose to be 2.75" , it's 2.694 difference of 0.056'
[23:20:37] <Connor> wait for it.... I think my backlash was around 0.023"
[23:20:52] <micges> I would try half difference then up
[23:21:43] <Connor> that's a diff of 0.01 I think ?
[23:22:50] <Connor> I think I was able to remove the backlash using the piano wire.
[23:40:36] <TekniQue> Connor: what did you do with the piano wire?
[23:40:52] <Connor> coiled it up between the two bearings.
[23:41:12] <Connor> cut the length so it fits. just right.
[23:41:12] <TekniQue> to make a spring?
[23:41:21] <Connor> No. just to act as a shim.
[23:41:27] <TekniQue> right
[23:41:46] <Connor> alot easier than trying to make a shim from brass sheet.
[23:42:44] <TekniQue> true
[23:42:53] <TekniQue> I usually make shims from a rod or a pipe
[23:42:55] <TekniQue> on the lathe
[23:43:04] <Connor> I don't have a lathe.
[23:43:09] <Connor> yet.
[23:45:39] <TekniQue> mhm
[23:46:48] <TekniQue> I'm thinking about making a plastic extruder attachment for my cnc router
[23:46:55] <TekniQue> for 3D printing
[23:47:00] <atmega> make two, I'll buy one.
[23:47:01] <Connor> Yea. I've got two of those.
[23:47:22] <TekniQue> Connor: what kind of design?
[23:47:25] <Connor> I got it from makergear.com.. the geared stepper one.
[23:47:33] <Connor> and I've got a wades too.
[23:47:38] <TekniQue> and what material do you use?
[23:47:41] <Connor> both using makergear hotends.
[23:48:30] <Connor> They're good for ABS or PLA
[23:49:13] <TekniQue> what are the pros and cons of the different materials regarding strength and precision?
[23:49:14] <Connor> He's got .175mm and 3mm. the 3mm is reprap and makerbot standard.. but, switching to 1.75mm is nice.. better looking parts..
[23:49:16] <Connor> etc
[23:50:28] <Connor> From what I've been told. ABS can warp unless you use a heated bed, and has a little more flex to it. PLA is harder, and requires a PTFE insert because it's more sticky.. (and thus, doesn't require a heated bed or warp as bad).
[23:50:39] <Connor> I'm still not printing yet.. I hope to be soon.
[23:51:03] <Connor> Backlash killing me.. I was making my dust shoe. and it kept messing up.
[23:51:21] <Connor> BTW, makergear has a channel on this IRC #makergear
[23:51:24] <TekniQue> how much backlash did you have?
[23:51:44] <atmega> the $165 kit includes everything you need?
[23:51:51] <Connor> 0.023" in the X axis due to bearings moving inside of the bearing block.
[23:52:13] <TekniQue> ok that's a lot
[23:52:32] <Connor> For the extruder yes, you still need a Arduino or something to control the stepper and the tempature of the hotend.
[23:52:58] <TekniQue> can't you drive the stepper with just a stepper driver from EMC?
[23:53:20] <TekniQue> and use just about any PID heater controller for the temperature
[23:53:28] <Connor> I'm thinking of driving my CNC via the pendant input via a Ardunio so I can use standard software.
[23:53:29] <atmega> I have lots of arduino or close enough
[23:53:45] <TekniQue> pendant input?
[23:54:28] <Connor> yea. My stepper drive has a 15-pin input that I can use to control the steppers with..
[23:54:46] <Connor> basicly it's just a tap to the parport pins.. but, still.. easy enough.
[23:54:49] <atmega> does the filament have another use? surely it isn't made just for this?
[23:55:06] <TekniQue> Connor: oh right, I have discrete drivers on my machine
[23:55:27] <Connor> They have devices called welders that use the filament. to weld together plastic panels etc.
[23:55:27] <TekniQue> each driver just takes a direction signal and a clock signal from the parallel port
[23:55:34] <Connor> yea, that means you have a break out bord..
[23:56:07] <TekniQue> http://www.foo.is/gallery/misc/IMG_5642
[23:56:13] <TekniQue> just wired right to a DB25 connector
[23:56:32] <atmega> I've seen lots of plastic welders, but I recall the filler being larger than that.
[23:56:50] <Connor> You have 3 options... You can run it via EMC for the XYZ, and use seperate stepper driver from a ardunio to control the extruder and temp.
[23:57:03] <Connor> or use EMC to control all steppers and ardunio to control the temp.
[23:57:14] <Connor> or arduino + your drives to control everything.
[23:57:27] <TekniQue> well, s/arduino/microcontroller/
[23:57:36] <TekniQue> microcontroller is the correct term for this
[23:57:43] <Connor> Yea.. depends on the size.. most of the filament now is custom formulated for 3dprinting.
[23:58:12] <Connor> well.. ATMega is the best, because already have tons of firmware to do what you need.
[23:58:22] <atmega> why thank you.
[23:58:27] <TekniQue> :D
[23:58:28] <Connor> if you use EMC, you have to run a post-processor to convert soe of the G-Code.
[23:58:35] <Connor> to something EMC can understand.
[23:58:54] <TekniQue> I'm just wondering how you describe this in G-code
[23:58:56] <Connor> I was having issues using EMC to control the extruder stepper..
[23:59:01] <TekniQue> and EMC
[23:59:11] <Connor> Same way you do with any CNC..
[23:59:22] <TekniQue> like, would you set the plastic rod up as an extra axis?
[23:59:24] <Connor> just alot more lines of code. and a 4th axis.
[23:59:28] <TekniQue> the extruder stepper
[23:59:40] <Connor> yea. that was the issue I had. I set it up as a angular axis..
[23:59:48] <TekniQue> and just do relative motion commands
[23:59:51] <TekniQue> to drive it