#emc-devel | Logs for 2007-11-08

[00:32:37] <jepler> Machine configuration file is 'minitetra.ini'
[00:32:37] <jepler> Starting EMC2...
[00:32:37] <jepler> Error in startup script: expected integer but got "100.0"
[00:32:37] <jepler> while executing
[00:32:37] <jepler> "after $imgtime exit"
[00:32:40] <jepler> (file "/usr/share/emc/tcl/bin/popimage" line 72)
[00:32:54] <cradek> oh nooo
[00:33:01] <cradek> now what?
[00:33:45] <jepler> starting the hexapod-sim configuration..
[00:33:49] <jepler> it seems to be harmless
[00:34:19] <cradek> in my tree I have the pnp_unregister_driver removed
[00:37:24] <CIA-18> 03cradek 07TRUNK * 10emc2/src/configure: new version string
[00:39:56] <CIA-18> 03jepler 07v2_2_branch * 10emc2/tcl/bin/popimage: work properly if INTRO_TIME is not an integer
[00:40:37] <jepler> cradek: can you pastebin the probe_parport patch (or check it in) so I don't have to do it again?
[00:44:04] <CIA-18> 03cradek 07TRUNK * 10emc2/src/hal/drivers/probe_parport.c: this breaks the parport on the second run of emc on my oldish (P3) machine.
[00:45:14] <cradek> * cradek stares dumbly at the plug on his probe
[00:45:50] <CIA-18> 03jepler 07v2_2_branch * 10emc2/src/hal/drivers/probe_parport.c: merge rev 1.5: pnp_unregister_driver was harmful on some systems
[00:45:50] <jepler> cradek: thank you
[00:45:55] <cradek> sure
[03:58:32] <CIA-18> 03cradek 07TRUNK * 10emc2/configs/scara/scara.ini: at least it runs this way...
[04:00:29] <CIA-18> 03cradek 07v2_2_branch * 10emc2/configs/scara/scara.ini: backport: get scara to run again
[04:09:13] <CIA-18> 03jepler 07TRUNK * 10emc2/tcl/bin/popimage: show emc version number on splash screen
[04:12:19] <LawrenceG> freenode seems a little shakey tonight
[04:12:45] <SWPadnos> hmmm. you think so?
[04:13:13] <LawrenceG> :} hi SWPadnos
[04:13:23] <SWPadnos> hi
[04:14:49] <LawrenceG> I havent tried 2.2.x yet... but I am running cvs from about a week ago.... nice work.... I am putting together a new controller for my lathe so I can use all the fun new features
[04:15:27] <SWPadnos> cool. I think there was a rash of fixes just before release, you may want to update (either CVS or installed)
[04:21:38] <LawrenceG> yes... I keep a pretty close eye on this channel http://imagebin.ca/view/PFWDdrQ.html is the parts collection
[04:22:37] <LawrenceG> yes... I keep a pretty close eye on this channel http://imagebin.ca/view/PFWDdrQ.html is the parts collection
[04:23:08] <cradek> looks like it's all done except for some wiring
[04:23:13] <cradek> :-)
[04:23:33] <LawrenceG> throw it in the box and hit the switch.... hi Chris
[04:23:34] <SWPadnos> and maybe a little drilling ;)
[04:23:43] <LawrenceG> silicon sealer
[04:24:01] <SWPadnos> true, just spray in some epoxy and toss the components in
[04:24:09] <SWPadnos> wire them wherever they fall
[04:24:38] <LawrenceG> a collection of bits from the junk box... I have been hoarding some of theat stuff for 25 years... time it got some power on it!
[04:26:18] <LawrenceG> its not to practical from a new parts point of view, but it will be nice to have in one box... a real control power relay, spindle relay, mist coolant and a real watchdog loop with emc
[04:26:23] <SWPadnos> heh. just make sure to replace all the electrolytic caps first
[04:26:43] <SWPadnos> (at least that's what Yaskawa recommends for their servo drives, every 5 years)
[04:27:15] <cradek> 5 seems excessive if they are in use
[04:27:41] <LawrenceG> I can see it on servo drives... they work caps pretty hard and hot
[04:27:43] <SWPadnos> I think they're supposed to be inspected every year, and replaced every 5 anyway
[04:28:32] <LawrenceG> a good excuse to get the service tech in every few years... repeat business
[04:29:22] <SWPadnos> or in my case, no business (beyond the first test units)
[04:29:32] <SWPadnos> most of which was bought on eBay anyway :)
[04:30:30] <LawrenceG> right half of box is low voltage side, left is 120vac... plugs for computer (non switched), one controlled via control power, and one for the spindle
[04:35:59] <LawrenceG> http://imagebin.ca/view/r7Bc9rzT.html power wiring dwg.... close to final version
[04:40:12] <SWPadnos> interesting - there's a link at the top of that imagebin page to a "voicebin"
[04:41:09] <LawrenceG> it doesnt seem to go far using my browser.... wonder what they are planning
[04:41:21] <SWPadnos> audio samples I'd bet
[04:41:31] <SWPadnos> or at least audio
[04:41:36] <LawrenceG> kind of a slow version of skype!!!!
[04:41:45] <SWPadnos> maybe the next thing is a binbin - just take any file ;)
[04:42:17] <LawrenceG> or the french version bin-la-bin
[04:43:04] <SWPadnos> or a disney one - a chitty-chitty-bin-bin
[04:44:07] <LawrenceG> to stay on topic... ngcbin
[04:44:31] <SWPadnos> cncbin
[04:44:35] <SWPadnos> email machines around
[04:45:14] <LawrenceG> would be great if I could email my chips to someone.... the garage needs a good sweep
[04:46:02] <SWPadnos> heh
[04:46:08] <SWPadnos> that would be the dustbin
[04:46:18] <LawrenceG> :}
[05:03:01] <SWPadnos_> SWPadnos_ is now known as SWPadnos
[05:11:39] <SWPadnos_> SWPadnos_ is now known as SWPadnos
[07:30:23] <alex_joni> sourceforge and linuxcnc.org announcements made
[07:30:45] <alex_joni> cradek: sorry about last night.. got home and went to bed, slept about 13 hours till this morning :)
[13:11:36] <jepler> alex_joni: thanks!
[13:15:01] <cradek> alex_joni: in rt, i don't see that probing problem. It might be a problem with -simulator
[13:15:11] <jepler> hm, anyone gotten this since installing 2.2.x?
[13:15:12] <jepler> mandb: warning: /usr/share/man/man3/hal_unlink.3hal is a dangling symlink
[13:15:37] <cradek> what shows that?
[13:15:42] <jepler> a nightly e-mail
[13:15:47] <cradek> hmm
[13:16:19] <cradek> I guess I don't get those
[13:17:02] <jepler> must be another unpackaged file .. hm
[13:22:59] <jepler> install -m 0644 -o root ... ../docs/man/man3/hal_signal_new.3hal ... /usr/share/man/man3
[13:23:14] <jepler> aha -- emc2-dev.files:usr/share/man/man3/hal_signal_new.3hal
[13:24:54] <CIA-18> 03jepler 07v2_2_branch * 10emc2/debian/ (emc2-dev.files emc2.files.in): hal_unlink manpage should be in -dev package
[13:26:30] <CIA-18> 03jepler 07v2_2_branch * 10emc2/debian/changelog: note packaging bug fixed
[13:26:42] <SWPadnos> hiya Ray
[13:26:51] <rayh> Hi Steven
[13:27:07] <jepler> hi ray!
[13:27:31] <rayh> hi jeff
[13:28:42] <skunkworks> Hi ray!!
[13:28:47] <skunkworks> ;)
[13:29:27] <rayh> morning skunkworks
[14:11:17] <skunkworks> heh - my picture is in the paper. Last night the astronomy club had a 'show and tell' on what telescopes to buy and what not to buy. I look like a gangster with my hat backwards looking thru my scope..
[14:11:17] <alex_joni> hi ray
[14:11:38] <alex_joni> skunkworks: lol, thought you were looking backwards through your scope
[14:12:09] <skunkworks> heh :)
[14:21:29] <skunkworks> I am really starting to be annoyed by mariss. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46205
[14:42:20] <cradek> because his opinion is [surprise] that his own drives do it the best way?
[14:42:44] <skunkworks> yes. actually
[14:42:46] <skunkworks> ;)
[14:42:51] <alex_joni> "That is the way things are done now." <- heh
[14:43:10] <alex_joni> wonder why I haven't seen any industrial stuff doing it like that
[14:43:11] <cradek> hmm, isn't it silly to be annoyed by that?
[14:43:29] <alex_joni> all I can see when I look around are AC servos with resolvers
[14:43:31] <alex_joni> and CAN to talk to them
[14:43:46] <alex_joni> I agree those drives usually have PID inside
[14:43:54] <alex_joni> but that doesn't mean they don't report position back
[14:44:00] <alex_joni> in order to synch multiple joints
[14:44:43] <cradek> with gecko servo amps can you disable them, move the machine, and get position feedback to the pc? or when there's a crash/following error, can you resync position somehow?
[14:45:12] <cradek> (I don't see how these things could work with step/dir)
[14:45:58] <cradek> also load/overload sensing
[14:46:10] <alex_joni> of course you can't
[14:46:16] <alex_joni> you just drive them and hope they won't error
[14:46:24] <rayh> Don't get me started on my experience with Mariss.
[14:46:26] <cradek> it seems like the traditional system is better in lots of ways.
[14:46:33] <cradek> oh hi ray :-)
[14:46:43] <cradek> I think I know how you feel about this...
[14:46:41] <alex_joni> cradek: well.. that depends who uses them
[14:47:08] <alex_joni> if it's home users with no/little expectation.. imho they should go ahead and do what they please
[14:47:25] <alex_joni> I have some apps where I used G3xx drives, and am quite pleased with them
[14:47:42] <alex_joni> but never to replace the need for closed-loop
[14:47:51] <cradek> wonder what would one of us have to pay cnczone to make our opinions as important as his
[14:48:20] <alex_joni> probably a banner for a year or so :)
[14:48:25] <awallin> another way to make your opinion count is to just write a lot and do it LOUDLY ;)
[14:48:36] <cradek> I'm off to find coffee
[14:48:49] <alex_joni> I'll be heading home
[14:48:58] <alex_joni> cradek: hope I'll be around tonigh.. but not sure yet
[14:50:28] <SWPadnos> you can run feedback to both the gecko and EMC
[14:50:49] <alex_joni> SWPadnos: yes, you can
[14:50:51] <awallin> but not FF
[14:50:54] <SWPadnos> but most people don't see the need, because they spell EMC "Mach"
[14:51:00] <alex_joni> and you can either have 2 loops
[14:51:14] <alex_joni> or no loop in emc, and use it for feedback only
[14:51:14] <SWPadnos> the geckos are great, but you can't tune I, and there is no FF
[14:51:18] <SWPadnos> right
[14:51:26] <rayh> hi chris, alex
[14:51:29] <alex_joni> hi ray
[14:51:43] <awallin> a graph widget for pyvcp to display following-error history would be nice...
[14:51:46] <SWPadnos> and I think the P is the same as Proportional, but the D pot on the drive is Damping, not Differential
[14:51:57] <SWPadnos> (which may be the same thing, I don't know)
[15:06:48] <rayh> Gotta run guys. Catch you all later.
[15:19:24] <skunkworks> maybe I am a bit crabby today. :)
[15:19:31] <SWPadnos> I sure am (now)
[15:19:49] <skunkworks> SWPadnos: how is the project coming?
[15:19:53] <SWPadnos> it's truly amazing when phone salesmen refuse to get off the phone
[15:20:06] <SWPadnos> so now it's time to log another complaint with the FCC
[15:20:13] <SWPadnos> my part is basically done
[15:20:29] <SWPadnos> I'm going to add a couple of features
[15:20:46] <SWPadnos> which I guess I need to do today and tomorrow, since I think I'm leaving on Sunday for a photo shoot
[15:23:13] <skunkworks> cool
[15:23:35] <SWPadnos> maybe I'll actually find out who we're shooting sometime ;)
[15:51:13] <fenn> hah "Other servo systems rely on black boxes and technical jargon to keep public inspection and comment from affecting opinions."
[15:55:31] <CIA-18> 03cradek 07TRUNK * 10emc2/nc_files/smartprobe.ngc: better probing algorithm
[15:55:51] <fenn> cool, that was fast
[16:31:40] <CIA-18> 03cradek 07TRUNK * 10emc2/src/emc/task/emccanon.cc: 0 vel/0 acc moves take a long time
[16:37:32] <cradek> http://timeguy.com/cradek-files/emc/smartprobe.png
[16:40:33] <jepler> neat-o
[16:41:26] <cradek> jepler: if we do what we were talking about, you could easily (print,G1 x#5061 y#5062 z#5063) etc
[16:41:32] <cradek> that would be a pretty neat trick
[16:42:37] <jepler> those numbers are now always in machine coordinates, aren't they .. ?
[16:42:46] <jepler> so this might make no sense: G0 X#5061
[16:42:51] <cradek> no, they are in the chosen coordinate system
[16:42:53] <jepler> oh really
[16:43:01] <jepler> so, unlike offsets and so forth
[16:43:02] <cradek> yep
[16:43:25] <cradek> they're not useful otherwise
[16:43:39] <cradek> in my hemisphere they go from about 0 to 1
[16:43:43] <jepler> can one of the new G38.x codes be abused to store the current location in #506x without doing any motion?
[16:43:59] <cradek> g91 g38.3 x0 f10
[16:44:32] <cradek> (untested)
[16:45:11] <jepler> so now the probing codes are: 38.2, 38.3, 38.4, 38.5
[16:45:17] <cradek> yes
[16:45:18] <jepler> ?
[16:45:34] <jepler> .3 is "until probe not in contact"?
[16:45:50] <jepler> .4, .5 are like .2 and .3 but without an error if no change in contact?
[16:45:53] <cradek> 2,3 are probe 'down'; 4,5 are probe 'up'; 3,5 suppress errors
[16:46:02] <jepler> ok
[16:46:23] <jepler> 'down' means it expects to go from no-contact to in-contact
[16:46:25] <cradek> all report tripped or not in #5070
[16:46:28] <cradek> yes
[16:48:43] <cradek> looks like you can get thousands of points without getting bored watching it now
[16:49:27] <cradek> 3-4 a second
[16:49:35] <cradek> (if they're close together)
[16:50:56] <jepler> so after a "successful" g38.5 where the probe went into no-contact, what value is in #5070?
[16:51:08] <cradek> 1
[16:51:19] <cradek> 1 = the probe changed state as requested
[16:51:27] <cradek> 0 = the move completed but the probe never changed state as requested
[16:52:20] <cradek> so the "up and over" algorithm is while [#5070 NE 0] up, over to target, endwhile
[16:53:21] <cradek> it will eventually be high enough to get 'over' to the requested target, at which time the probe move will complete without changing state
[16:56:02] <cradek> jepler: the handshaking between the various bits is definitely broken in -simulator. everything works perfectly in rt
[16:56:52] <jepler> cradek: that's too bad
[16:57:15] <cradek> yeah but it's not that important
[16:57:25] <cradek> we just have to remember not to look for bugs that aren't there
[16:58:54] <jepler> I'm writing docs for the new g38.x; want to come read them before I check them in?
[16:59:22] <cradek> http://timeguy.com/cradek-files/emc/smartprobe2.png
[16:59:52] <cradek> I think this is 2500 points, it took about 20 minutes
[17:02:38] <SWPadnos> hmmm. I wonder if it's possible/desirable to have AXIS show probed points with a little glyph
[17:11:26] <CIA-18> 03jepler 07TRUNK * 10emc2/docs/src/gcode/main.lyx: g38.x documentation
[17:26:07] <cradek> again, you're my hero
[18:14:05] <CIA-18> 03jepler 07TRUNK * 10emc2/docs/src/gcode/main.lyx: explain debug, and print, messages. add more labels
[18:20:19] <awallin> cradek: is that in sim-mode or with a real machine?
[18:40:14] <LoRez> [Global Notice] I apologize for the trip through splitsville the past couple of days. Apparently we've annoyed a kiddie and he doesn't have anything better to do than packet a few of our servers. We're working with our sponsors to block the traffic.
[19:27:05] <jepler> bounce bounce bounce
[19:27:20] <cradek> there's a server message explaining...
[19:27:37] <cradek> and, I didn't know "packet" was a verb
[19:28:38] <cradek> jepler: it's interesting that you could probe more points in places where the slope has a discontinuity
[19:28:55] <cradek> (I'm looking at the edge of my circle)
[19:29:37] <fenn> anywhere the radius is less than the probe radius you mean?
[19:30:17] <cradek> not really, I mean anywhere there's a sharp feature
[19:30:45] <cradek> if you look to the 'left' and 'right' and see wildly different slopes, you know something interesting happens 'here'
[19:31:06] <cradek> so, do some recursive search until you're sure you've found it to whatever tolerance you want
[19:31:07] <fenn> oh
[19:31:12] <fenn> feature recognition
[19:31:22] <cradek> yeah, sort of
[19:31:47] <cradek> http://timeguy.com/cradek-files/emc/probe-results.png
[19:32:09] <cradek> see how well this grid defines the surface of the sphere, but the sphere/plane intersection circle is bad
[19:33:07] <fenn> isnt it "equally bad" over the surface of the sphere?
[19:33:17] <fenn> and, you could just do waterline instead of a grid
[19:33:35] <fenn> i can see your point though, for something with a complicated parting line
[19:34:03] <cradek> no, I think it's worse when the surface is nearly parallel to the probe
[19:34:42] <cradek> but yeah, waterline would be cool for some stuff (except you can't find inside features)
[19:34:52] <cradek> for a convex shape it would be great
[20:18:37] <alex_joni> 'lo
[20:19:09] <cradek> hi
[20:24:14] <alex_joni> nice stuff on probing :D
[20:25:32] <cradek> thanks
[20:25:42] <alex_joni> looks really fun :D
[20:25:55] <alex_joni> makes me wanna build a probe :D
[20:25:57] <alex_joni> or get one somewhere
[20:26:17] <cradek> gene had some ideas - maybe it'll start another discussion
[20:26:19] <jepler> CIA-18: are you broken again?
[20:26:21] <cradek> he has a homemade probe I think
[20:26:26] <alex_joni> * alex_joni kicks cradek
[20:26:30] <alex_joni> * alex_joni kicks CIA-18
[20:26:35] <alex_joni> jepler: :/
[20:26:39] <alex_joni> seems like it
[20:26:57] <jepler> http://www.indoor.flyer.co.uk/probe.htm
[20:27:05] <alex_joni> btw, error reports in #cia didn't do much good
[20:27:38] <alex_joni> likewise reporting at code.google.com remained unanswered
[20:28:56] <jepler> hmph
[20:29:14] <alex_joni> * alex_joni feels the same way
[20:31:06] <cradek> One thing I realized is that the scanning process can be very slow. The height at which you begin the scan which I the feedplane must be higher than the highest feature within the area to be scanned. If object has a combination of high and low features then the mill can spend a lot of time raising and lowering the probe.
[20:31:11] <cradek> [turbocnc]
[20:31:24] <alex_joni> heh
[20:31:48] <alex_joni> it wasn't much different for emc2
[20:31:54] <cradek> right
[20:33:33] <alex_joni> played with another gutsy today.. works very nicely
[20:35:03] <fenn> could the new "smart probing" stuff have been done with M66?
[20:36:02] <cradek> probing is special because it records the position when the probe trips, even though the machine is still thundering along at full speed
[20:36:21] <alex_joni> fenn: M66 waits for an input
[20:36:28] <alex_joni> but motion is not happening during that
[20:36:33] <fenn> could you do a custom m-code to write the values?
[20:36:42] <alex_joni> fenn: I doubt that
[20:37:01] <cradek> actually you could, but it would suck, there are only two arguments to custom m codes
[20:37:05] <fenn> m101 P#5220 Q#5221 etc
[20:37:21] <cradek> I think enhancing (debug,...) or (print,...) to write to a file is what we want
[20:37:26] <fenn> yes
[20:37:30] <jepler> (log,) (logopen) (logclose)
[20:37:34] <alex_joni> fenn: I don't see: 1. how you can command moves from a custom M-code
[20:37:46] <alex_joni> 2. condition that move to stop when an input happens
[20:37:54] <fenn> alex_joni: you arent commanding moves from the m-code, you're just printing values to a file
[20:37:55] <alex_joni> 3. write to a file (that might be easiest of all 3)
[20:38:09] <alex_joni> fenn: ok, printing works.. but only 2 params
[20:38:15] <cradek> (log,G1 X#5061 Y#5062 Z#5063)
[20:38:21] <jepler> cradek: sure
[20:38:29] <alex_joni> (log,file1, ...)
[20:38:47] <fenn> alex_joni: so there's no way to stop a move with m66, only start a move?
[20:38:52] <alex_joni> neither
[20:38:55] <jepler> alex_joni: do you think more than one open file is needed?
[20:39:02] <alex_joni> jepler: who knows..
[20:39:07] <cradek> (log,<filename>"out.txt"</filename>,...)
[20:39:15] <alex_joni> I wouldn't limit it to one
[20:39:19] <jepler> g1 / m66 / g1 would move to the first position, then do the input action, the move to the second position
[20:39:20] <alex_joni> if we write this from scratch
[20:39:22] <cradek> sorry, that was a troll
[20:39:39] <alex_joni> (log would do append.. right?
[20:42:03] <alex_joni> then you could do just (log, "</path/to/>file.txt", ...)
[20:43:45] <jepler> I don't want to have to mention the file each time
[20:44:03] <alex_joni> maybe (log, ..) would write to the last one opened?
[20:44:23] <jepler> (log,I don't like that idea, but I can't explain why)
[20:44:39] <alex_joni> you're no fun :P
[20:45:05] <fenn> would you prefer a file handle?
[20:45:21] <alex_joni> (logopen, "filename")
[20:45:27] <alex_joni> (log, whatever)
[20:45:30] <alex_joni> (logclose)
[20:45:30] <alex_joni> ?
[20:45:34] <jepler> yes that's more or less my idea
[20:45:39] <jepler> but it assumes one file is enough
[20:45:43] <alex_joni> one at a time
[20:45:52] <jepler> yes
[20:45:57] <alex_joni> ok, I can live with that
[20:46:07] <alex_joni> who wants something else, can do O-functions
[20:46:15] <alex_joni> to close/open various files
[20:46:23] <fenn> can you pass strings to o-subs?
[20:46:31] <alex_joni> fenn: don't think so
[20:46:40] <alex_joni> but you can call O100 call log1
[20:46:44] <alex_joni> (log, ...)
[20:46:50] <fenn> ok
[20:46:50] <alex_joni> O101 call log2
[20:46:54] <alex_joni> (log ...)
[20:47:00] <alex_joni> etc
[20:50:02] <jepler> alex_joni: I'm not sure what that means, O100 call log2
[20:50:31] <alex_joni> that's a procedure call : to something that does logclose, logopen file2
[20:50:58] <alex_joni> but I said O101 call log2 (different procedure name)
[20:51:33] <alex_joni> not sure if I'm making much sense..
[20:51:33] <cradek> jepler: answering your previous question, yes, but you have to move: g91g38.3x0.0001f1
[20:51:48] <alex_joni> in mm?
[20:52:03] <cradek> any amount of motion I think
[20:52:25] <jepler> z.0001 seems like the better move
[20:52:30] <cradek> a 'move' that doesn't move is not issued
[20:55:35] <jepler> OK, I updated my bog entry about the new probing stuff to reflect that
[20:55:36] <cradek> maybe (debug) should be (message)
[20:57:30] <jepler> mmmmaybe but unfortunately we released with (debug)
[20:59:23] <jepler> hmph, in lyx the line on the right-hand side of the table is present, but in the html version it's gone missing. http://www.linuxcnc.org/docview/devel/html/gcode_main.html#sub:G38.2:-Straight-Probe
[21:00:09] <cradek> \begin{tabular}{|||||}
[21:01:57] <fenn> message is too close to MSG which pops up a window
[21:06:15] <fenn> oh, debug pops up a window too
[21:08:47] <alex_joni> cradek: doesn't the probe have something circular at the tip usually?
[21:09:13] <alex_joni> or does it get idealized as a point?
[21:09:29] <fenn> they usually have a sphere at the tip
[21:10:15] <alex_joni> well, I was wondering about the "cutter radius compensaion must be off" part
[21:10:33] <alex_joni> but as I think about it, it's quite hard to reason about the actual contact point
[21:11:19] <alex_joni> I think this is better done in some analysis program afterwards..
[21:11:31] <fenn> you could use a point if you assured that it was always pointing in the direction of motion
[21:11:39] <fenn> and wear wasn't a concern
[21:11:53] <alex_joni> (find the shape which goes through some spheres around the logged points)
[21:12:17] <alex_joni> fenn: but it seldom is (pointing in the direction of motion)
[21:12:33] <alex_joni> think about probing a sphere from above, with strictly Z moves
[21:13:14] <jepler> use a probe with a sphere end that matches the tool you'll cut with -- then you're fine
[21:13:18] <jepler> </cradek>
[21:13:46] <jepler> in general, I suppose it's a 3d version of polygon offsetting -- you take the points you got and offset them by the diameter to find a possible surface that matches the probed points
[21:15:09] <fenn> yep a simple matter of CSG
[21:18:23] <alex_joni> jepler: can I ask you a simple thing?
[21:18:36] <alex_joni> I can probably do it myself, but it'll take me lots longer..
[21:19:02] <jepler> alex_joni: sure
[21:19:10] <jepler> but I reserve the right to give an evasive or useless answer
[21:19:13] <alex_joni> the "only?" user of teach-in.py asked me if we could add the line number to the written file
[21:19:33] <alex_joni> also spindle, mist, coolant, lube status
[21:20:47] <jepler> I'm sure all of that is possible
[21:21:09] <fenn> someone uses lube status?
[21:22:34] <jepler> 'flood', 'mist', 'lube', 'lube-level', 'spindle_direction', 'spindle_enabled', 'spindle_speed' seem to be the python names for the items in the emc status buffer
[21:22:42] <jepler> you'd just add them to the 'print' statement
[21:23:18] <jepler> to keep track of line number, you'd put at the outermost indentation level: "linenumber = 1". In a function that modifies linenumber, put "global linenumber" at the top. e.g., "global linenumber; print linenumber; linenumber += 1"
[21:23:44] <alex_joni> and string joining is done with . ?
[21:23:56] <jepler> 'print a, b, c' prints a, then a space, then b, then a space, then c
[21:23:56] <jepler> then a newline
[21:24:12] <jepler> otherwise, if a and b are both strings, then a+b is also a string
[21:24:30] <jepler> "." is not used for string concatenation in python
[21:24:32] <alex_joni> is it 'print a, b, c' or without the '' ?
[21:24:52] <jepler> without, of course
[21:25:04] <alex_joni> ok, cool.. I think I can manage now :D
[21:26:29] <fenn> alex_joni: soon you'll forget all about that c++ silliness
[21:26:35] <alex_joni> :D
[21:31:01] <alex_joni> fenn: what does tracking-test do?
[21:31:18] <alex_joni> No manual entry for tracking-test
[21:31:26] <alex_joni> can't say I didn't try :P
[21:42:10] <alex_joni> * alex_joni doesn't understand cvs anymore..
[21:43:18] <alex_joni> teach-in.py is in src/emc/usr_intf/axis/scripts , right?
[21:43:37] <SWPadnos> find / -name teach-in.py
[21:43:39] <SWPadnos> :)
[21:43:42] <alex_joni> (it seems like that by looking at the cvsview), but when I do a cvs diff I get this:
[21:43:55] <alex_joni> juve@taurus:~/emc2.TRUNK/src/emc/usr_intf/axis$ cvs diff
[21:43:54] <alex_joni> ? scripts/teach-in.py
[21:44:18] <alex_joni> juve@taurus:~/emc2.TRUNK/src/emc/usr_intf/axis$ less scripts/CVS/Entries | grep teach
[21:44:23] <alex_joni> juve@taurus:~/emc2.TRUNK/src/emc/usr_intf/axis$
[21:44:35] <SWPadnos> if it'sa new file, does cvs diff give useful output?
[21:44:52] <alex_joni> cvs diff doesn't say anything
[21:45:04] <SWPadnos> I guess the answer is no then ;)
[21:45:20] <SWPadnos> do you have that file in your checkout?
[21:45:24] <alex_joni> yes
[21:45:29] <alex_joni> and I changed it..
[21:45:30] <SWPadnos> oh. then I'm no help
[21:46:00] <alex_joni> I think I know what happened
[21:46:17] <alex_joni> I put the file in my local repo there before jepler checked it in
[21:46:28] <alex_joni> after that cvs didn't want to check it out because it colided..
[21:46:49] <SWPadnos> ah, so your cvs Entries doesn't show it a s amanaged file yet
[21:46:55] <SWPadnos> right
[21:47:05] <alex_joni> nope.. but I renamed it, checked out the one from the repo
[21:47:10] <alex_joni> then replaced it, and it seems happy now
[21:48:08] <alex_joni> heh.. we can sync ntp servers after jmk
[21:48:41] <fenn> cvs diff never does what you want it to do
[21:49:04] <alex_joni> oh, it does the trick for me..
[21:50:01] <alex_joni> fenn: so what does tracking-test do?
[21:50:33] <fenn> it tests the Track class in vismach.py, and is a fun toy that shows off hal_input with the mouse
[21:50:57] <fenn> you're supposed to do halcmd -fk configs/sim/tracking-test.hal
[21:51:31] <alex_joni> I always do -kf , I thought that sounds politically more correct than -fk
[21:51:51] <fenn> meh..
[21:52:14] <fenn> anyway, tracking-test shows off a bug in Track that i was hoping someone else would figure out
[21:53:07] <cradek> jepler: YM G90 HTH
[21:53:08] <fenn> it "mostly" works, except for at low values for z
[21:53:11] <jepler> cradek: oops
[21:53:34] <alex_joni> fenn: I saw that.. but I thought it's kins
[21:54:06] <fenn> alex_joni: does the cone follow the mouse when you run tracking-test?
[21:54:15] <alex_joni> never tried
[21:54:18] <alex_joni> :)
[22:08:57] <alex_joni> * alex_joni plans a special move
[22:13:38] <alex_joni> wonder if a probe will trip on my way to bed
[22:13:40] <alex_joni> good night all
[22:17:19] <tissf> goodnight alex