#emc-devel | Logs for 2006-04-25

[00:18:11] <jmkasunich> evening gents
[00:26:45] <jepler> hi jmkasunich
[00:29:48] <jmkasunich> re: my gripe yesterday about you taking out the #if 0 stuff....
[00:29:59] <jmkasunich> I thought about it and decided to leave it out
[13:01:33] <rayh> I see that the end message on the make rip didn't show up here. No error messages.
[13:03:47] <rayh> seems to have compiled and is running.
[13:20:03] <jepler> rayh: "end message"? You mean the note about "make setuid"?
[13:20:29] <rayh> Yes
[13:20:39] <jepler> did you use "make -s"?
[13:20:47] <rayh> I did not.
[13:21:04] <rayh> I should use that now?
[13:21:12] <jepler> No, that's not what I was suggesting.
[13:21:36] <rayh> Tell me about these args to make.
[13:22:02] <rayh> Or point me to a link.
[13:22:12] <jepler> "make -s" tells make to be quieter. Recently, I changed the Makefile so that the "make setuid" reminder wouldn't appear when you use "make -s".
[13:22:18] <jepler> make --help, info make
[13:22:30] <rayh> okay. Thanks.
[13:22:32] <jepler> but I didn't use "make -s" either and I didn't get the message
[13:22:35] <jepler> I'll look into it
[13:23:07] <rayh> Question regarding variables in "~.emcrc" if you've got a minute
[13:24:03] <jepler> ok?
[13:24:06] <rayh> PICKER_LASTCONFIG = XXX or would you rather see another style of varname?
[13:24:43] <jepler> It seems like a fine idea to have it be in the same format as the other emc .ini files
[13:24:52] <jepler> but that would require a section name too
[13:25:14] <rayh> I thought I'd try to get away without that.
[13:25:59] <rayh> I suppose if it is gui specfic then [MINI] or [AXIS] would be better.
[13:26:09] <rayh> then each could have the name named vars.
[13:26:15] <rayh> same
[13:27:39] <rayh> If so it might look like [PICKER] LASTCONFIG = xxx
[13:31:40] <cradek> that program is called pickconfig, so I suggest [PICKCONFIG]
[13:37:18] <rayh> Okay.
[13:45:32] <jepler> next we can make certain configuration items (e.g., [DISPLAY]DISPLAY) come from ~/.emcrc
[14:13:05] <alex_joni> hi all
[14:36:26] <rayh> Right, colors and stuff like that.
[14:36:36] <rayh> Hi alex
[14:42:04] <alex_joni> hi ray
[15:09:34] <lilo> [Global Notice] Hi all. We've experienced two packet loss incidents with a main rotation server; we're pulling it out of rotation now. Apologies for the inconvenience, and thank you for your patience.
[17:22:53] <alex_joni> hello all..
[17:27:25] <alex_joni> anyone home?
[17:28:25] <Lerneaen_Hydra> * Lerneaen_Hydra is at home...
[17:28:44] <alex_joni> I meant developers :)
[17:28:48] <alex_joni> I'm out of sync
[17:29:37] <Lerneaen_Hydra> alex_joni: cradek was here a while back, and skunkworks seemed to be here although using the integrated client on the emc website
[17:29:53] <alex_joni> well, cradek might be hiding :)
[18:13:17] <cradek> I just got back from lunch
[18:15:09] <alex_joni> hi chris
[18:17:30] <cradek> alex_joni: thanks for removing the counter from the web site
[18:17:48] <alex_joni> no problem.. that's really easy.. didn't know people are offended by it
[18:18:15] <alex_joni> chris: I wanted to get back on track on emc2, not sure where you are now.. what's still missing?
[18:20:08] <cradek> what do you mean? for the release?
[18:20:25] <alex_joni> not only.. I've seen jmk did something about the encoder interface..
[18:20:41] <alex_joni> but he didn't document anything.. so I'm a bit lost how to do it for the stg
[18:20:56] <alex_joni> I need to read encoder.c and motion to figure out what he did in the end
[18:21:19] <cradek> yeah I don't know the details about that either, he did it by himself late one night
[18:21:59] <alex_joni> ok, I'll try to bug him about that sometime
[23:59:31] <jmkasunich> for alex: I intend to document the canonical encoder interface in HAL_Intro.lyx